Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which tuning peg shape?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    OK, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna replace the clunky, heavy, classic style tuners on my Warmoth J with hipshot ultra lites. The question is, which tuning peg? Should I go for the modern looking one or the old clover peg?

The bass is white, with a red pickguard and white headstock...kinda retro looking, so I am leaning towards the clovers.

Opinions? Thanks...

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I got so used to the cloverleaf-style tuning pegs on fenders that I think the smaller ones would look out-of-place with the big fender-style headstocks.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I prefer the feel of the "Elephant Ear""Clover Leaf" style. To me, they look American and the Gotoh look Import. My main 4 string has Gotoh style tuners and my 5 string has Elephant ear.

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'm not sure what kinda tuning keys they are, but F bass are he prettiest ones i have ever seen//

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Clover.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Y-keys look strange on Fender style basses. Stick with the clover-leafs (elephant ears)

P.S. Not cool to mention items for sale as you're not a supporting member. Please read the FAQ.

7. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I was kidding. Sorry.