Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which tweeter and crossover for cabinet project

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspete, Apr 6, 2004.

1. basspete

basspete

Sep 7, 2002
    Hi my Name is Peter!
    I want to build a speaker cabinet with a beyma 112Nd-W speaker this speaker has a frequency range from 35 - 3000 Hz so im looking for a tweeter and an crossover for this project.
    What do you recommend.
    thx peter

2. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Umm you could use the same tweeter as Avatar uses, its inexpensive. Fostec.. fosgate.... foster? i forget.

3. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
  4. How about using a good tweeter, such as the Eminence APT:200 series. Use an Eminence pk2:35k cabinet-ready crossover (with tweeter volume control) that crosses over at 3,500 Hz.

The horn on the tweeter is long enough to provide full acoustic loading to 2,600 Hz. The crossover provides an 18dB slope rate to protect the tweeter.

Get all this from: www.partsexpress.com

5. basspete

basspete

Sep 7, 2002
    the eminence tweeter sounds good do i also need an crossover which cuts the lowest frequencies??
    i hope that the cabinet sounds great

6. The cross-over is what seperates the lows from the highs. On another note, that Beyma driver has a pretty high fs and qts to be using for bass. IOW it's not going to go very low. Maybe someone else will explain it better... I elimiated it from a similar project for those reasons.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would recommend the QSL (which is owned by Selenium) QS T20. It sells for around $18, and has a response of 2,000-18,000 Hz. I have heard them in bass cabs, and they really are quite good for the money. The Eminence is good, but it has a frequency response of 3,500-20,000 Hz, so with a woofer that only goes to 3,000 Hz, it would leave you with a hole in the mids. As for a crossover, the pre-made Eminence crossovers (which again, are quite nice) don't seem to have a good crossover point for you. You'd have to either step down to 1,600 Hz, or go up to 3,500 Hz, neither of which is ideal for a woofer that is extended to 3,000 Hz. However, Dayton Loudspeaker makde a nice board mounted unit that handles 300w and allows you to select crossover points at 2,000, 2,500, 3,000, 3,500 or 4,500 Hz. I would think 2,500 would be the optimal (if you used the QSL tweeter), as you would be crossing over 500 Hz before your woofer rolls off and 500 Hz after your tweeter's lower limit.

Both products are available from www.partsexpress.com, and no, I am not associated with them (though I have bought a good deal of products from them).

Hope this helps, Tom.

8. Remember that tweeter Fc (cutoff) is directly related to the length of the air column. Whether a bass horn, or tweeter, the concept is the same.

The APT:200 has a long enough air column for 2,500 Hz. Like its vented counter part, this means the compression diaphragm has full horn loading 1,000 Hz below the crossover point.

I just grabbed the PDF for the 112ND-W, and just entered the data in my spreadsheet.

Take a look at the Beyma 12LW30/N... it goes all the way to 3,500 Hz, has a lower Qts, tuned lower, and is probably a better driver. It is a Neo type, also.

3,500 Hz is the 4th harmonic of the 14th fret (high A) on the G string. Yes, the anechoic response of the 112ND-W will be down -10dB at 3500 Hz from the mid-bass average.