Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which type of guitar to get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Acoustic

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Classical

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Electric

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  4. Other?

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Looking for a cheap alternative to the old 4 string wonder.

Obviously the electric will likely be a little more costly than the 2 acoustics, and they each have their own perks. Essentially, the classical feels more like a bass, and allows for fun fingerstyle stuff. However, the acoustic sounds just great for actual guitar stuff and would be cool to sway even more from the bass. Finally, the electric would be great with my little guitar amp (which I use as a bass amp at home :D) and allows for more versatility, especially considering I like playing late at night and headphones would be real cool. The acoustics might be too loud for playing at 3AM, but their loudness allows them to be played anywhere with good sound. I'm kind of divided between the three so give me a suggestion, and if you have another idea it's more than welcome.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Electric. If you REALLY wanted an acoustic sound, they have acoustic simulator pedals that sound awsome. I think you could make more sounds with an electric definitely though.

3. voted for other.

i say see if you can get yourself an Acoustic-Electric guitar.
    best of both worlds..

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    What about that one Line 6 guitar?

5. The Variax? Probably too expensive for my blood, I'm saving up for a new bass rig! The acoustic/electric idea is so good, I couldn't think of it myself. However, I'm, a little concerned about the sound, electric-wise. Will the hollow body significantly affect my tone? I'm looking for a good Tele kind of sound, which generally is solid bodied. Any input?

6. If you're looking for a tele style sound, I think you just answered the question yourself... electric.

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Electric. Telecaster.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The hell they do.

If you're looking for a Tele kind of sound, then get one. If you find the Fender MIM ones too expensive, there are surely some Asian builds that'll do just fine for a little less money. Rondo Music sells an SX Tele for $110!

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Get a Fretless 6 String bass. You will be plenty Busy. You can get the Brice at Rondo Music. Imma Pick one up soon :bassist:

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It all depends on the type of music that you really like. I have one acoustic and a bunch of electrics. I don't play guitar that much, but nothing soothes my soul (guitar-wise) than cranking up the gain on a tube amp (or amp modeler (my Vamp Pro has a great modded Marshall model)), hitting a great big fat A chord and going from there.

As for the instrument itself...I find my Strat (Fender Tex-Mex Strat) the most versatile. I've swapped out the bridge pickup with a Duncan JB Jr. (a single coil size humbucker) and added push-pull pots in all three control positions. The most useful is the one that adds the neck pickup to the bridge pickup. That way I can get Strat tones (with a 5 way switch) or add the neck pup to the bridge for Tele tones or have all three pups on at the same time. The other switches split the bridge pickup (not too useful for me) and lift the tone control off of the middle pickup (which finally makes the middle pickup useful by itself, IMO).

Anyway...have fun!!!

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've always been most comfortable with acoustics, especially those that have thick necks.. A classical guitar, p'haps?

12. Well I don't necessarily need a Tele sound, but I'm just wondering if an acoustic electric can really get a good electric sound. Just something comparable to a solid bodied electric. The woods, pickups, and maybe even the strings used are different and I don't know if it justifies paying the extra cash for the electricity.

13. Acoustic/electric classical.

You play them with your fingers right? ;)

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Acoustic electrics sound like an acoustic, only louder. (i have one).

15. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    I'd go with electric first. Being a bassist wanting to learn what "that six stringed instrument with really thin strings" was all about, I bought an acoustic and an electric. Realizing the undeniable truth that I am a bassist, I put the acoustic (acoustic/electric, actually) on eBay and I still have a Squier standard strat that I'm trying to get rid of. PM me if you're interested.

But I started with the electric and later went to acoustic, only to realize that I am a bassist. So I ended up selling/puting up for sale the guitars and just bought a Kubicki. It's a vicious cycle, I tell ya' :D .