1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which type of preamp tubes on a Trace Elliot vtype v4 all tube head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cuatro_cuerdas, Nov 3, 2013.

1. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Apr 2, 2010
    It is time to change the tubes of my TE Vtype V4 and I already bought the 4 KT88 of the power section. I checked the preamp tubes and I found 3 12AX7 but then I found another one which says nothing in the tube, is this another 12AX7 or something else?
    Some trace Elliot v4 owner that can help me?
    Cheers

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Swap it for one of the 12AX7 and see if the sound changes dramatically. None of the options can cause harm, just change sound.

3. Why do you think that your tubes need replacing??

4. According to the service manual they are all ECC83/12AX7.

5. If swapping the pre tubes around changes the tone then you could justify replacing some, but preamp tubes tend to go forever.

6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I keep reading this on the internet, but I keep having to replace preamp tubes in peoples amps.

7. I mostly use my practice amp for practice, don't gig a whole lot, always let my amp sit to cool down before moving it if possible. Maybe that's more common than the amps you see for service.

8. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks for all the answers Mr Foxen, Downunderwonder and Bassman Paul(talkbass is the place ;)).

Bassman Paul: I think that the tubes need to be replaced because it has the originals Trace Elliot tubes (all of them) and I noticed the sound is getting less rich?, and is dropping in power (less output) and lately I am getting a weird high pitch noise that comes and goes randomly. I think that it might be the time to take a deep look into the amp, maybe some parts are damaged, I don't know, maybe a capacitor or a tranny, who knows, I bought the head used and is in mint condition, but still is from 1996, so it might need some love, and since the amp is going to the tech I just one to use the opportunity to change all the tubes as well.

Good to know that all the preamp tubes (4) are 12AX7. I mean, I checked them last night and all 4 look exactly the same, but only three of them has labelled 12AX7 in the glass, the last one it has the TE logo and all but doesn't say which kind of tube it is, but as I said it looks exactly the same as the others three. Is the first time I replace tubes or/and send an tube head to the tech, I don't want to buy the wrong tube. Thanks for your answer.

9. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Apr 2, 2010
    By the way, can I use JJ ECC83S/12AX7TES for preamp? I mean ,is this S/TES modell the correct ECC83/12AX7 preamp tube for my V4 head? . I already bought the 4 JJ KT88 for the power section, I would like to have all tubes of the same brand in my amp.
    Cheers.