Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Victor tune should I play?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Jan 6, 2003.

1. I'm giving a final exam speech tomarrow. I'm doing it on the history of the bass guitar. Towards the end I'm going to tell the audience about how far bass has gone, and give them an example by playing a clip of one of Victor Wooten's songs. Considering these are high-school students, who will only be amazed if it "really fast!", what do you think I should play? I've been thinking about Classical Thump or A show of hands. Do you have anything better?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I recommend "you Can't hold no groove"

it was the first complete victor song I ever learned(from start to finish) and its technically less challenging than Classical thump, and it is more of a catchy groove.

With classical thump its more about...look at me i'm playing really fast triplets and tapping at blazing speeds. but with "you can't hold no groove" it will probably appeal to people that are looking for impressive chops and it should probably get some of them at least tapping their feet to the groove.

another reason why I think "you can't hold no groove" is the ideal song, its flashy, its not a very difficult song but its really flashy...with a song like "classical thump" or "a show of hands" the audience is just going to see you on stage staring at your fretboard tapping in your own little world. but with "can't hold no groove" you don't need to be looking at the fretboard very often and you can get a much more personal appeal to the audience.

furthermore I think that if you DO choose "you can't hold no groove" try and get a drummer to play along with you, because I've performed it that way before and let me tell you...that song is GROOVING! with drums.

...scratch what I just said, I just re-read the context of your post....still I suggest "you can't hold no groove"

if not that then I suggest "what did he say" or "me and my bass guitar"

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    wait.....were you just talking about playing a clip from a recording?? if so then classical thump will do fine.

4. :confused: i was ready to say all of them :D :p

5. Sorry. What I meant was: playing an actual recording.
    Me playing Classical thump? Yeah right!:eek:

6. yeah i expected you ment recording i just didnt want to say anything haha. most people are intimadated by bassists live especially if their good ;)