1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which virtual rig to use? (2018) Amplitube vs BIAS vs Guitar Rig etc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeadbeatLine, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Hello!

I've recently become very interested in experimenting with a Virtual Rig at home to compare realistic sounding amps against each other as a way to get a good feel for how the different amps sound against each other (the music shops close to me do not get much varied bass stuff), whilst also being able to experiment with complicated rig set ups like combining different loops, using crossovers/HPF, etc.

As mentioned, for now this will just be for at home messing around and experimenting, but if it sounded genuinely really good as compared to my actual amp set up, I would consider bringing a laptop on the road and POTENTIALLY using it live in place of an actual amp.

Obviously amp/effect realism is important here as is the ability to have different routing options/complex signal paths. I'd love to have an Axe-FX just for sheer experimentation, but they're obviously rather pricey.

I've been suggested Amplitube before as having the most realistic tones, and I'm considering buying the Amplitube Max edition which comes with loads of the officially endorsed custom shop amp models. Now that its 2018 and all the various programs have had updates, would suggest otherwise? Positive Grid BIAS, or Guitar Rig, etc?

Thanks all!

2. richardsun

richardsun

Feb 20, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I bought iRig 2 HD, and I like it. I plug the bass and head phones into the iRig, then I plug the iRig into my Mac or iPad or iPhone. My iRig came with the AmpliTube app on all my devices, which gives me a few virtual bass amps to play with. GarargeBand also has a few virtual amps. The rig sounds good, is extremely portable and can be configured with a broad selection of virtual amps (a handful are free, others are an additional cost). I’m doing fine with the free ones. Downside: between all the wires and adjusting the audio settings on multiple screens, it sometimes takes longer than I would like (a few minutes, rather than a few seconds) to get the setup to work end to end.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    pachoate likes this.
  3. Soporific

Soporific

Jan 4, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    I use both Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitube 4. To my ears Guitar Rig sounds better, in addition the interface isn't as clunky.

For bass I think the Amplitube SVT stuff sounded a bit better though.

FWIW if you are doing a live gig, get your PC stable and then never let it connect to a network or update it unless it's absolutely necessary and turn off anything that scans like antivirus, or malware software. And ground yourself out on something metal if you are running around on stage right before you touch it.