Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which volume pedal for aktive bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Hi Tb'ers

I have been looking for a Ernie ball volume. But I'm not sure which one. I will use with my aktive basses and read something about them that some of them are not good with aktive.
    Anyone have the answer?

Thanks

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    You need a 25k pot. See at www.ernieball.com, all is written. The one you need is Product Number: 6167

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, that's the one. There's the regular size, or the smaller (jr) one.

4. Thanks guys!

Will the Jr (6181) do the same trick?

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes

6. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Just be aware that the ernie-balls have strings to break and pots to wear-out. I went with Morley for the optical mechanism. It is sort of a "medium impedance" unit - a comprimise between active & passive needs.

A day later, I realized I hate having a big clunky volume-pedal...

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a Morely, as well... I thought it was less clunky than the EB

The thing is wider than the EB, but shorter, and as PhilMan said, there's no string to fail.

It does require 9-volt power, since it's an optical circuit, and has an indicator LED. I think it'll drain a grand total of 15 mA from your pwer supply. I use it as part of a Godlyke PA-9 daisy chain.

8. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I didn't mean to imply that the Morley was big and clunky - just that after having a pedal on the floor for 30 minutes, the volume pot on my bass started looking better and better...

BTW, the battery on the Morley lasts a *long* time. I don't recall how long, but it is on-par with the battery-life in the average active bass.

Note - the Morley comes in both "audio" and "linear" taper. They work a bit differently, and only the "linear" taper can be used in the effects-loop - I'd try both. If I was going to use one, I'd probably want to put it in my effects-loop so I don't impact the gain going into my pre-amp. The gain-setting into your preamp on your head/combo has a big effect on your tone. Putting the volume pedal in the effects loop (between preamp and poweramp) would only control volume - not tone.

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *LOL* You meant to imply ALL volume pedals are clunky..

Yes I tend to agree with that statement. It does take a reasonable amount of space on my Board. I wouldn't use one, except that leading worship requires it.

I use mine primarilly for fading out and to kill the volume quickly during prayers, or during parts of the service that I'm not playing in.