Which Wah Pedal: Morley Or Dunlop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Morley PBA-2 Bass Wah

11 vote(s)
  2. Dunlop Cry Baby 105Q Bass Wah

23 vote(s)
  1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
  2. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Without a doubt, i'd say go with the 105Q.

I had a Morley bass wah before I got the Dunlop and it was poor at best. First, the sweep on the pedal was extremely short, so it was difficult to control the treble/bass shift in any manageble way. Second, the Morley's touch-sensitive on/off control induced a significant delay in the signal. Third, the Morley's tone wasn't nearly as good or as versatile as the Dunlop.

IMO, the Dunlop's a better bet. Either way, though, you should try them both out before you decide on one. You might find you disagree with me, or find you don't like either. There are other options, too. Shop around a little bit. I borrowed a Charlie Stringer's Whine-O wah once and it sounded great -- better than than the Morley or the 105Q. Problem was, it always added a bit of a boost when engaged, even when the volume control was set as low as possible. So I stuck with the Dunlop.
  3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I've never tried the Morley. I have the Dunlop 105Q and I quite like it. I also have an original Dunlop Bass Wah, but it's far more limited and will only do the vintage thing. I've heard that the Morley and Dunlop are pretty different and it's really a matter of personal taste. I've noticed that people that like one, usually don't like the other. I know that the guitar Morley is different from the Dunlop. I liked my 105Q so much, I sold my guitar Morley and got the guitar version of the 105Q (the 95Q) for my guitar rig. So, I assume the same might apply to bass. They work differently. The Dunlop is a traditional potentiometer and inductor setup, whereas the Morley uses an optical circuit that supposedly never wears out. I guess you should just seek out some samples and decide based on whatever's closer to the sound you want, if you're not able to try them both.
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well i have played both of those wahs. frankly i like the JD better. but i played the JD bass wah with the switch and IMO it beats the dookie out of the 105 q. i never liked having to wait for the wah to come off, i enjoyed having control over it. so id say get the JD but the one with the switch, and its cheaper.
  5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Has anyone else tried out the Boss PW-10 V-Wah? I'm trying it out now, and it models lots of different wah pedals and stuff. Not a bad unit, only been using it for a couple hours now though...
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Of the two, the Dunlop. I'd check out the tech21 killer wail and that boss modeling wah though.
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I am very happy with my 105Q.
  8. Ditto on th 105Q here. The PBA-2 has a really artificial sound to me, doesn't sound like a wah. When I think wah, I think Dunlop Crybaby, and my wah does it. It's smooth and sweet, and the spring is a lifesaver. After I modded it so there's no delay when switching off, it's a beauty. My only problem is I wanna use it too much.
  9. Neither. Morley Power Wah boost, from the 70's. They go on ebay now and then.

Hands down, the only wah worth it's price for a bass guitar. I had a dunlop and it was boring, it had no boost. The wah quality was decent..but like I said there was nothing to it. No "oomph".
  10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

Well, I've been using it for ten months now, and the Boss V-Wah is a pretty cool little unit. Just have to make sure that it's set for bass and not overdrive before I start playing as the knobs move pretty freely and could get nudged out of place.

I've heard really good things about the Morley wah pedals...(and the V-Wah models them, they are pretty cool sounding!)

Supernaut, which did you end up getting?
  11. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    there is a reason why they call it a crybaby............
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Of those two I say they both suck. The cheaper versions of both are much better IMO, the old Blue Morley Bass Wah (Model PBW) which retailed for $59.99. I loved that thing to death. And like someone else already said, the Crybaby with the switch is also much better. I honestly couldn't stand either the Morley Dual Bass Wah or the white Crybaby.
  13. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

don't go for the tech21 killer wail. read the reviews at harmony central, apparently that thing is overpriced junk.
  14. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I've got one of the blue Morley bass wah's...
    it basically adds "clangy" sounding mid/high end noise when it's engaged. I also think the sweep is very brief. The one thing I like about it is the auto engage (for lack of a better term) meaning I just have to step on it when I want it on. I have thought about trying a Dunlop pedal, just skeptical that it would take a while to get used to clicking it on and off all the time.