Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Warwick for Funk/Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Nov 15, 2002.

1. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hello all.
    Being in the process of getting a new bass I am considering a Warwick.
    Not being able to try every Warwick (not even a few) in the market I wonder if you could give me some hints/tips regarding which warwick is better suited to a funk, jazz style. My main (and only bass) right now is a Cort Artisan. This bass has very tight string spacing (which makes it really hard to slap - so I guess I need a Warwick broad neck) and the sound....... well...... the sound...... it's not bad....... but it does not cut thru the mix.;)
    I really am considering other basses, but I leave those choices to a poll later on!! For now, I would be happy to understand the "The sound of Warwick!".
    Thank you in advance for your attention and I hope to hear(read!) from you soon.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'd like to know the answer to this one, too...

3. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    streamer jazzman. streamer lx

4. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Come on!!
    I'm feeling really lost here...
    Can any one give an advice on this issue? I'm planning on buying a 5 string with wide string spacing!

Thank you once again!

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Corvette Jazzman becasue of the MM/J pup
    Streamer Jassman bcause of the MM/J pup
    Corvette FNA because of the MM pup and contour
    Corvette Proline because of the JJpup spaced apart
    Streamer LX also becasue of the JJ pup spaced
    Most of the Corvette standard/actives I've played had a great slap sound.

I have only found a few thumb BO 4's that really kicked... that heavy wood they're made of is just too inconsistent.
    Everything else that has the two pups stacked next to each other way back right next to the bridge have never-ever had a good, deep cutting slap sound in a band situation to me. Then when you crank them up they're just too pingy. IMO

6. The Funk & Jazz Monsters:

Warwick Streamer Pro M

[​IMG]

Warwick Fortress Masterman

[​IMG]

7. The thing is that any Warwick will sound good in a "funk, jazz style" type of environment, IMO. But, if you want a wideneck fiver, you're "stuck" with any of the bolt on models, or the neckthrough Streamer Stage One. Either will do the job just nicely.

8. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    The fortress is a great funk bass. Dunnknow bout Jazz though. That bass was really slap friendly too :D

9. weird, I always thought the Fortress was good for ROCK, and my Streamer LX is better for funk/jazz. Slapping sounds better on the Streamer.

10. Yes, all Warwicks will sound pretty good in a funk/jazz environment. My Thumb 5 is great for fingerstyle funk and jazz, might be missing some of the edge you're looking for, and isn't *ideal* for slap (though very capable). The Thumb has a very unique and I guess "modern" tone, and you'd probably do better with one of the Warwick's that have more "standard" tones.

Good luck!

John

11. Michael Yetton

Michael Yetton

Dec 11, 2000
    Essex, UK
    a Stingray IMO would suit funk and jazz!

12. Yes, but the string spacing on the SR5 is a bit tight, innit? ;)

13. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    My SR5 doesn't seem to be too tight.
    String spacing was one of my main concerns when moving on up the the five, but I can slap and pop just fine. And OHHHH does it sound so very sweet!:D :D :cool:

14. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have played several Warwicks and I think that they would all be fine for jazz and funk, it depends on the sound you are looking for. Single pick up basses like the FNA and the Masterman have a punchy, growly bite IMO and the two pick up models like the Thumb and the Streamer (not the jazzman) have another kind of sound. You should probably try them out and see for yourself. I currently am selling my FNA5 because the neck profile is a little fat for me and I have ongoing hand problems. Good luck

15. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Corvette w/EMG's and BQC Preamp