1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Warwick model is the preferred choice in the celeb/sessions world? Poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FishDub, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Streamer SS1

16 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Streamer SS2

18 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Thumb BO

15 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Thumb NT

45 vote(s)
    32.1%
  5. Corvette

38 vote(s)
    27.1%
  6. Dolphin

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    For over 50 years we have seen hundreds use Fender, Ibanez, Spector, Alembic, MM, ETC...It seems when watching live performances of our favorite bands, I almost never see a Warwick..What "Warwick love" do you see out there with either local or famous bands?

Tom Kinter likes this.
  2. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    I'm voting Corvette. I see that as THE Warwick bass. Seems whenever I see one live, it's a Corvette. Based on nothing but my impression of what I've seen more.

I think the streamer, in any config, is a close second.

PsyDocHill, gazzatriumph and FishDub like this.
  3. Thumb and Corvette are the the most popular I'd assume. You see lots of Corvettes in the metal world.

Veldar, FronTowardEnemy and FishDub like this.
  4. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I voted Thumb because of him..

Marillion6875.jpg

5. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Pete Trewavas, bassist of Marillion

7. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    These days? I’d say none. But if I had to choose one it would be the Thumb (based on the ‘90s and early ‘00s when more high-profile people seemed to be playing Warwicks).

8. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The are used by many progressive metal and technical death metal bands. A lot of Spector as well.

Famous Warwick players:
    Ryan Martinie, Erland Caspersen, Jon Stockman, Nick Schendzielos, Jeroen Paul Thesseling, Nick Shaw, Robert Trujillo, Troy Sanders, P-Nut, Dick Lovgren, Mike Inez,

The spread of models being used is pretty broad, but I'd say the Corvette and Thumb are the most common and easily identifiable.

9. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Probably my favorite bass player... from my favorite band.

10. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    Corvette is the most ubiquitous because it is the cheapest model in the line up. I'd say the Thumb is the most distinctive, not counting the Dolphin, Buzzard etc as they are so rare.

Streamers are popular too and done seem to cause as many ergonomic issues for a lot of players. I never struggle with my Thumb but a lot of folks don't like the small, curved and heavy bodies.

FishDub likes this.
  11. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    If I had to guess, I’d say SSI and SSII for most studio session players. The Thumb has such a signature tone that it’s often more of a defining element of a band’s sound.

For weekend and road warriors, I gotta hand it to the Corvette. They are great playing, great sounding, relatively affordable and plentiful - making them viable for even the most questionable dive bar or festival.

12. Valvehead

Valvehead

Jun 21, 2020
    Europe
    Corvette used to be the cheaper model before Warwick ventured into chinese and korean built instruments. This may just be the main reason why you see a lot of them around. The Thumb NT was made of pure unobtainium. I have owned 4 dolphin pro1, ss1-5, ss2-5, streamer pro-m, thumb nt and a streamer lx6.

Would love to try a Warwick Infinity some time!

infinity.jpg

HolmeBass, PsyDocHill, db59 and 7 others like this.
  13. Dr. Keebs

Dr. Keebs Bassmaster General

Jan 9, 2016
    Montana
    I dig the sound Mike Chapman got with his SSII on Garth Brooks, Blackhawk, etc. albums in the 90s. Not intrusive, but clean, full, solid and punchy. If I were to have a choice of models to play, it would be that, thanks also to players like Dirk and P-Nut.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  14. Mikey F

Mikey F

Aug 12, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Ones that come to mind are P-Nut from 311 playing his custom SSII, Ryan from Mudvayne playing a Thumb, and Norwood from Fishbone playing a Thumb or an Infinity. The Dave Matthews bass player played a Dolphin. Jack Bruce played a Thumb.

Cashu, PsyDocHill, Mertle72 and 3 others like this.
  15. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    P-Nut from 311 is my favorite and the reason I own a Streamer, though no one has mentioned Dirk Lance (Incubus) and his Streamer, or Sonny Thompson and his upside-down bright white Dolphin...

PsyDocHill, Reedt2000, jkazam and 5 others like this.
  16. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Actually 2 response up by @Dr. Keebs mentioned a Dirk if thats the same guy..

Dr. Keebs likes this.
  17. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    You're right, missed it!

Dr. Keebs and FishDub like this.
  18. bste9

bste9 Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    Dirk Lance is the reason I started playing bass, his tone is just it for me. There are plenty of Warwick players out there now. Rex Brown is now playing Warwicks as well.

19. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    Amos Williams from Tesseract used to play one, and I believe both guys from The Omnific used to as well.

FishDub likes this.
  20. Memory immediately flashed back to seeing the master bassist John B. Williams in the house band on 'The Arsenio Hall Show' back in the day, rocking a Dolphin in front of a Trace stack (they were imported by the same company IIRC), one hell of a bassist on electric or upright.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Cashu, Ben Rose, PsyDocHill and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021