Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which warwick series is best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metro_trash, Aug 27, 2001.

1. I'm looking into buying a warwick but am wondering whichis their best model for the price point. I'm leaning toward a thumb bolt on with the two J style pickups towards the bridge. Living in Alaska I don't have much chance to try anything other than MIM fenders. Thanks for your help

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    this should be in basses, where it's going now.

3. The Warwick Fortress Master Man and the Warwick Streamer Pro M have been discontinued. These basses kick major ass. They are currently selling the Pro M on E-Bay for @$1,000 new. They list at $2,000+. This is the best deal going on a great Warwick.

4. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I recommend the corvette proline, (I have the 5 string.) I think these get a great tone, it gets just better and better. Especially if you play a lot of slap and funk. A lot of bottom, but cuts through really nicely. It's got nice balance, I have no problems with comfort (which some other warwicks seem to have according to people.) Check one out . . .

5. I heard the Streamer Jazzman is a nice one..

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Stage Streamers I and II are very nice, but at $3000+ a little pricey :)

-KB

7. The best Warwick series IMHO is the Streamer line (except the Standard). Well balanced. Nicely carved. A classic design.

8. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I have heard alot of people bitching about how hard it is to record a good tone from a warwick in a recording studio.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  10. I have a Bolt-On Thumb 4 and it records a lot better than my Fender Jazz. Seems to have better volume across the strings and the growl sounds great.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Best is subjective, but IMHO the Streamer Stage I & II and the Dolphin are the best.

Also the most expensive, except for the Infinity.

12. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I was planning on get a Corvette Standard (4 Stringer of course ;)), but I was put of by some people on talkbass saying that it is hard to record em well.

It could have been because of a crap sound engineer that the bass didn't record well.

13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I really liked the Thumb Bolt-on 5 I got over the
    Streamer, Corvette, Fortress, and the Infinity.

In fact I liked it better than the other basses I tried while searching. Its tone, feel, and looks suit me and my playing.

14. ColForbs

ColForbs

Jul 21, 2001
    The thumbs sound great, and I was about to gert one, but then I realized how poorly balance they were. When I had it strapped and just let it hang, the neck would fall towards the ground...just something to be aware of...besides that you can't beat the tine of the thumb bolt on for the money. The FNA jazzman is also nice.

15. I've heard the exact opposite. Warwicks are better in the studio then on stage, and that they really shine in the studio... To each each their own...
    Warwick bashing is a futile hobby.
    Many Pro's use Warwick's in the studio and on the road...
    Bakithi Kumalo (Paul Simon)
    Norwood Fisher
    Jack Bruce
    P-Nut (311)
    Prince
    Dirk Lance (Incubus)
    John Taylor
    Mike Inez (Alice in Chains)
    Stephan Lessard
    Sam Rivers, et. al.; on and on...
    Warwicks are becoming more popular then ever, and the list grows every day.

I'll take their word on the subject.

16. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I just bought a Thumb Bolt-On 4 a month ago and it sounds awesome. I have not tried recording with it, although hearing the Thumb's tone on albums is what made me search it out in the first place (so somebody must be getting it right). It is great live -you can't beat the low-end growl. The highs get a little bit "clicky" with any kind of treble boost, but it cuts through very well. Mine sounds very nice and flexible, too - I keep the EQ flat on most tunes and boost the bass just a tad for Latin or R&B. I upgraded to the Thumb from a Streamer Standard, which was decent enough, just not as clear as I would have liked. I have heard other Warwicks, too and think they all have pretty good tone. I got a decent deal on mine ($1099). The only downside I've seen so far is that darn heavy neck that dives toward the floor....

17. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The warwick has its own tone and are good basses in general, but I must be one of the few people who don't really care for them. Many of the bassists around here play them, and they all sound the same (perhaps some of the blame goes to the players). There seems very mid-y to me.
    I'll take a jazz bass any day.

I think the thruneck thumb is easliy the worst value in the line. The head dive is a problem, I don't like the eq, and the ones I have played are kind of muddy. For over $2000, I expect a perfect bass.

18. Imabassplayr

Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    Warwicks and the the dingwall zebra are the coolest looking basses

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Nuh-uh! Everyone knows the Warwick Sterling's sooo much better than the Warwick NS-5 XL!!!

Com'on, Nino, are you starting to slip?! :D ;) :D

(Thread starter: Disregard that)

I guarantee you it's purely subjective - which Warwick's best.

20. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Flippant comments aside I always think that its sensible to compare similar instruments and the Streamer was 'influenced' by Spector.

Re Warwick

Sound is subjective. The unusual wood choices influence the sound and many of the ash and alder brigade dont like the sound.

Some sound engineers are lazy. I have a quick remedy for complaints. I offer to teach them how to use a mixing desk. It works every time. If you use this method make sure you have a powerful amp.

Actual factual problems with Warwick are 1 some basses are neck heavy. A Comfort Strapp works for me. The coefficient of friction between strapp and shirt keeps it in one place. 2 The MEC electric can die. The vol knob goes scratchy then dies. There are a few people on this board (and me soon) who have replaced the pu's/harness with EMG's or Barts or something else.

As with anything its compromise. I like enough about my Thumb BO to keep it. I also have a 'one trick pony' Stingray and thats a keeper too.