1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rols, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Rols

Rols

Oct 8, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I just wanted to know what everyone's preferences are. I'm looking to spend my tax refund on a pretty nice bass and I'm mainly choosing between these three Warwicks: Thumb 5 BO, Dirty Blonde 5 BO, or Corvette 5 $$. Any thoughts?
    My current two basses are a Lakland Bob Glaub and a Peavey Cirrus 4 BXP. I play mostly christian rock-style music, but I'd also like to break into something a bit more funky. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hear people recommend other basses and I'm open to them as well.

2. I love my Thumb Bolt on 5 with the broad neck. It has way more space to move and the soaps make it warmer than any warwick I've tried.

3. PM'd

4. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I dont know if you have, but id def try before you buy on the dirty blond. I had real bad gas for a limited edition thumb that had a maple body. It didnt sound anything like a warwick. No growl. Im not saying it sounded bad, but I wanted that signiture tone. Id go with the thumb or the streamer. I have a thumb 4 and a spector 4, and they are both very comfy basses.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I can support for the Corvette 5 string $$. It's a sweet bass and I re-fall in love with it everytime I plug in.

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    My opinion is only based on looks but for what it's worth go with the Thumb.

7. Of the three, I'm definitely a bigger fan of the Dirty Blonde. I've never liked the pick-up placement on the five and six string thumbs, and the double buck just doesn't do it for me. The Dirty Blonde I have no complaints with. The P/J set-up works very well, and of all the MEC pick-ups I've heard, I have to say, the double-J is the best. The Dirty Blonde costs about the same as a regular thumb BO, has better p'ups AND p'up placement, sounds better, and it's lighter on the shoulder. I don't see a downside, besides relative rarity. Of course, if you're looking for the classic thumb sound, the unfortunate truth is that it comes from the p'up placement being what it is, so you're probably going to have to A/B them (if you can).

8. They're all considerably different in terms of tone. You really need to have the chance to at least hear the differences first. Personally I'd choose the Dirty Blonde. More versatile in terms of tone. Best in the looks department too. But, hey, that's just me.

9. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    I've owned a couple Warwicks in the past. When I bought my first thumb BO5 I was really lucky and got a light one that was very comfortable. When I started looking for a back up I found that at one Guitar Center there were several Corvettes that felt and sounded like my Thumb.

So, my experience is that with Warwicks the variation from instrument to instrument is just too great to get your heart set on one model. Try everything you can get your hands on and try to buy the one you like best.

10. I'd definitely give the Dirty Blonde a try if you can get your hands on one. Despite Bluestarbass's reservations, this is definitely my favourite Thumb, but it is different, so give it a good A/B to make sure its for you.

The Dirtly Blonde is not as 'growly' but it does have growl - just with more punch which I like. This makes it a slap machine which may just suit you, seeing as you're also considering doing more funky stuff. Another thing: this baby can really cut through the mix without sounding strident.

I'm very much with Rocketpriest regarding the advantages of the P/J setup. You get a more versatile instrument. Also, not only is it lighter, but you won't have neck dive problems. The neck is also thinner (I have the 4 string but I presume the thickness of the 5 won't be much different).

Good luck and let us know what you finally settle on.;)

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Out of those three, I'd say the Thumb BO, but make sure you can handle the weight and neck dive!

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Personally I don't like the $$s. I have played the 'Vette and Streamer $$s and I just didn't like the way they sound. Never played a Thumb so I can't comment, but I have played a few 'Wicks and my favourite was definitely the Streamer Stage I. You shouldn't discount one before playing - based on looks and features I thought that I would love the Corvette $$, but then I played some Warwicks and fell in love with the SSI. Unfortunately being a very poor student I cannot afford one and probably won't for several years. But I have been GASing for one for about 2 years so far, and every time I play one I want one even more :(

13. Pietzsa

Pietzsa Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Orange, Texas
    Another vote for the Dirty Blonde. I've had mine for a year and its my main player despite the fact that I have five other basses, including a Sadowsky. The first place I played at with it another bass player was present and came up to me and said it cut through and sounded awesome. This was with no EQ and through a DI. However that being said, it is not your normal Thumb sound. I love it for its versitility, awesome playability, super low setup, low weight ergonomics, and great punchy sound.