Which Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 30, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm thinking of getting a 5 string warwick maybe a fretless not decided yet. I'm wondering if any warwicks sound like any others like can you rget a streamer sound out of a thumb or are they all unique. I'm looking at the Thumb (Bolt on and neck Thru), the streamer 1 and 2 and the infinity i'd like to hear peoples thoughts on these.

Do the fretlesses come lined or unlined?

Is there anything I can do with a fretted I can'd with a fretless?

Are the coated in something strong enough to last against years of roundstrings or do you need to use flats on them?

Any one got an infinity are they worth the extra cash they look lovely but do they sound it?

Finally which are the warwicks to stay away from?

Thanx in advance.
  2. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've played a Dolphin and a Corvette fretless. Neither had lines. Pretty nice. Good woody fretless tone. Nice mellow mwah.

The only Warwick I've owned is my Infinity 5. Rather than comment on its tone, I'll let you be the judge. Here's a rough mix demo featuring the Infinity 5:
    infinity clip

The only big difference I notice w/ the Infinity is that the top will resonate at higher volumes. Though it doesn't feedback, you can really feel the resonation. I like it. Very tactile, powerful feeling.
    I don't think the tone is that much different from the other Warwicks with similar setups. The EQ allows for a lot of variety.

I'll say this about Warwick- their necks tend to be round/thick. If that's a problem for you, you might fall into the 'hate them' catagory.

The only thing I can think of that you can do on a fretted that you can't on a fretless is 'always play in tune.' Of course, I suppose even that isn't always a given.
    Now, there are some techniques you can do on fretless that you can't on fretted..
  3. I really like the neck-through Thumb and the semi-hollow Infinity. Soloing the Infinity 2000's bridge pickup is one of the best tones I've ever gotten. I'd like to get one at some point.
  4. As far as fretless goes, everything that needs to be said has been said above. Otherwise, from my experience it seems like the Thumb and maybe the Dolphin have the most "unique" tone of the bunch. It seems that among High-End Warwick users the Streamer is popular for it's "versatility" and ability to get quite a few tones... I own a Thumb 5 and love it, but have very little experience with the Streamer/Dolphin, so I can only go by what i've heard.

5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the thumb pretty much has one tone. active/passive and pickup blending has pretty much no effect. but if that tone is what does it for you, you're done for, because no bass sounds like that.

whereas with the streamer, it does alot. you can get everything from near P-bass tone to jaco tone, and the "normal" sound sounds great. much fuller and warmer than the thumb IME, and it can get pretty close to the thumb tone - but not nail it.

not to mention the thumbs neck dive problems(trust me i had one for 3 years and got rid of it because i couldn't take the wrist problems anymore, but i'm a small guy - if you're bigger it won't be so much of a problem.)
  6. I'd go with a Streamer but do not, I repeat DO NOT, go with the Std. Go for an LX or Stage II.
  7. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    I agree. I've owned/played 7 Thumb basses and a Stage II, all of them were pre-91 ones.
    The Thumb have a dry tone, a lot of punch and a bad balance.
    The Stage II have the same punch but have a warmer tone and it's well balanced.