Which Warwicks have really thick necks???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassis_fiendus, Nov 21, 2002.

1. I've heard quite a few stories around this board about Warwicks having necks like baseball bats, i was just wondering whether this applies to the entire range of Waricks or just some specifically.

Looking at the Warwick specs, the neck thickness seem to be bassically all the same.

2. I've noticed that the older ones seem to have thicker necks--the "wenge shortage" (strange, Cort and FBB don't seem to have any trouble getting wenge) has "forced" Warwick into using thinner fingerboards, which makes the whole neck thinner.

I much prefer the feel of the ~1995-era Warwicks I've played to that of anything within the past three or four years. I once played an old Thumb 5 that was LIKE BUTTAH.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    all of 'em, but especially the older ones.

total volume is the same as most 5 string basses though.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My '98 SSI5 has about the thickest neck I've ever played.
  5. Damn it, this means i am really going to have to try out a Warwick and travel to get there, to see if the neck suits me.

6. Hey, Has anyone compared a Warwick neck (now one) to a BTB's neck?

I'd like to know how much is the neck on the W thicker than a BTB405's..

7. When I bought my Warwick about four years ago I tried all of the ones at Long & McQuade in TO. There were at least six of them and they all had different size necks.
  8. I've tried only one BTB and there is a HUGE difference with my FNA's neck (5 strings).
    But I feel more comfortable with the Warwick than with the BTB ... And I found the BTB lacking of character.
    For the few Cort I have seen, their wenge seems very different from the one used by Warwick. I believe there are different kinds of wenge, and different quality ... like rosewood.
  9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The old ones?!!!

I play a 1987 Warwick Streamer and its neck is seriously slim - slightly narrower than the current Warwicks and VERY shallow back to front. I' have yet to play another bass with as fast a neck as this.

From my experience of Warwicks (and I've played a lot of them) the really old Warwicks are totally different to the later ones - like the difference between a early 60s and late 70s jazz bass.

My Warwick is much growlier and just more Warwick-sounding than the later ones (not saying they're not good instruments, they're just not as hand-crafted and unique sounding).

If you're looking for a Warwick, keep an eye out for the early ones - they still sell for less than the new ones and they are so much better IMO.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with this and it is Warwicks in particular that made me certain that I would never buy a bass without trying it first.

So - I had heard a lot of players getting great sounds out of Warwicks (e.g. Stuart Zender) and there are a lot of them about in England.

But every one I tried, the neck was too thick (back to front) for me - in fact all those I tried in the Bass centre in Wapping for more than 15-20 mins made my left wrist really ache!! :(

I was really after a Streamer but tried loads of others and the necks were all just too thick to be comfortable for me. But pictures and specs on websites give no impression of this and you really just have to try them, to see if they work for you.

I still haven't found a Streamer witha comfortable neck in about 10 years of trying loads of them - the shops in London must have about 50 different ones!!
  11. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Stuart Zender played a Warwick? That's it, I gotta try one out. I've been thinking of getting a new fretted bass that'd be good for funky playing (after I sell my old beginner bass, I'll only have my fretless), and I've liked what I've seen and read about Warwicks, but now I find out Zender played one! Wow!

By the way, how do you guys pronounce Warwick? I assumed it was pronounced "Worrick", like the UK City.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Zender played mostly a Streamer Stage 5-string - this is his trademark sound.

But as I say, when I tried them, I found the neck too uncomfortable to play! :(

And that was on a bass costing more than £2,000!!
  13. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmm, so the neck was too thick? I'll have to try one out. Have you got small hands Bruce?
  14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Every Warwick that I've tried has had a big neck. Kind of like a Precision Bass, Stingray, or most Spectors. I like the feel of the big neck, but that's the only think I liked about the Warwicks, they're nice basses, but not my style.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

No - I have large hands. I had some lessons with Franc O' Shea who is an excellent Jazz BG player and who plays some astounding stuff.

But what most suprised me was how much smaller his hands were compared to mine!!
  16. My Warwick is a 2000 FNA Jazzman, with the so called "big and chunky baseball bat neck apparently made for elephants". But I find this neck very comfortable, more easy to play than a Jazz Bass neck! But the best neck I have is the neck of my Pedulla Rapture ...

It's just that many people are not used to this neck profile, very different from Fender necks. For me it was easy, because the FNA was my first bass, and I played it during one year before getting the Pedulla.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

18. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I find Warwicks 4-string necks bit too thick but the best neck I have felt was on 5-string bubinga/wenge all-active Corvette Std.
  19. I guess what i can conclude from this thread is that i'm going to have to go and try out the neck of the Warwick i'm going to buy, which is a pain in the butt, except for a $3000+ i'm pretty willing to do that.

20. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you don't need to try the exact one, just A warwick from a similar era. all warwicks of the same year will have the same neck. every late 90's wenge necked warwick i've played has had the exact same dimensions.

my thumb nt5 and ss2 5 had the exact same neck.

and stu zender is the man. IMO the best, most underrated bassist, and definitely my favorite bassist ever.