Which was the dumbest career move a member of a famous band has ever done?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The best thing I can think about is when Fish left Marillion for a solo career.

Exactly. Maybe you have a better one.:p
  2. When Paul McCartney quit Wings......;)
  3. Paul McCartney marrying the pushy, whiny Linda Eastman, whose insistence on the Beatles hiring her father as their manager instead of Allen Klein added a personal dimension to the band's existing artistic and financial divisions and ultimately put them over the breakup edge.
  4. I was pretty shocked when Oteil switched to Peavey.
  5. how about john lennon and yoko?
  6. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Great one, man. Too true. Clutching at straws and still drowning.
  7. Yoko's craziness was manageable and had a highly positive effect on Lennon's songwriting. (Listen to a song like "Julia" or "Cry Baby Cry" and you'll know what I mean.)

It's easy to point to Yoko and say "She broke up the Beatles!" because Paul and Linda were such a happy couple for so many years, and how could a happy couple be malign? ("How could anyone who speaks German be evil?") However, given that McCartney's post-Beatles solo career was by far the most mercenary, and that he was making a whole lot of money in the Beatles while still making good music, I'm less inclined than most to point to Yoko as the ultimate reason for the Beatles' breakup.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Worst career move by a musician? John Entwistle choosing coke over The Who.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    What's up with the Hagar-Roth rivalry? To quote Peter Cushing, "Gentlemen, this bickering is pointless!"
  10. rayna foss of coal chamber-marrying morgan rose of sevendust:
    not great for her career; as she had a kid and quit the band.
    krist novoselic-that time he threw his bass in the air and it came down and hit him in the face:
    actually, that was kinda cool. nevermind (no pun intended)
    pearl jam-putting all their good tunes on "ten" and having a bunch of other mediocre cds (not that i can listen to any pj; long story)
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    When Phil Collins left Genesis....(Oh, I'm sorry. That should be the other way around. ;) ).
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, there's a bunch, imo.

how about when iron maiden brought on mr. blaze "i couldn't hit a note on if there was a gun to my head" bailey?

then there's all the sleeping around with each other that fleetwood mac did in the late 70's, early 80's. probably wasn't the best move for morale.

kiss taking off the makeup - i mean, i've always felt that kiss sucked, but without the makeup they just looked lame as well as stupid. (still, though, i always have to give kiss props for helping rush out when they got started)

good musicians with loads of money and success resorting to substances to get their kicks. the world would be a better place if john bonham, keith moon, john entwistle, jimi hendrix and jim morrison grew old instead of od.
  14. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Are you kidding? When Paul McCartney started Wings ;)
  15. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My favorites are the guys that decide the band is going nowhere and leave about an hour before everything happens. Or the band is doing fine, but 'I bet I could do so much more on my own.'

How many of these names do you recognize?

Pete Best
    Peter Gabriel
    Steve Hackett
    Bob Welch

For the TBers too young to recognize these names, even though they all eventually got famous on their own, and three of them even in music!

An original Beatle, 40% of the original Genesis, and Fleetwood Macs guitarist until right before Rumours.

Everybody Nelson-laugh together! HA HA!
  16. Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    When B.B. King did Burger King commercials.

When Pink Floyd continued after Roger Waters left.

When Metallica sued Napster.(I hated metallica already, this just made it worse.)

LOL, thats all I can think of for now.
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, yeah, but to be fair, Pete Best didn't really leave by choice, he was replaced with Ringo.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    When was that? In 1983?
    When I first met Oteil, he was playing thru a home-made cab(1x15) with a G-K 800RB head. Not long after, he "upgraded" to a Peavey cab(2x10? + 1x15? & maybe a horn?).
    Bottom line...it doesn't matter what he plays.

Pete Best? I agree with the Mole Rat...
    From my recollection, he was ousted(& if George Martin woulda had his way, Ringo woulda suffered the same fate).
  19. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, for the first session, he did have his way! Andy White played (that was for one of the versions of Love Me Do, I forget if it's the single or the album one). But I know that George Martin grew to love Ringo before long.
  20. True, not smart, but some of their best songwriting came out of the bickering. Without the spite, backbiting, and jealousy, Rumors would have been just another album.