Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which way 2 play

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 10-4bassist, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. what is the best way to play

a.......fingers

b.......pick

i am just wondering which way i should be playing or if it even matters

2. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    This thread has been done more times than you can imagine, go to the technique forum and search.
    :bassist:

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Well, first thing is to get this in the right forum... TalkBass is subdivided into different categories.. This question might go better in the "Technique" forum.. I'm sure a mod will be along shortly to move it.

**See? If I were a mod I could have already had it moved!!!

But to answer your question only YOU can decide which is the best way for you to play. I use both fingers and pick as the situation requires..

Welcome to TB... Make sure you read the Rules and FAQs. They'll help you out a lot.. Also become familiar with the search function. It'll save you time.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Double posting threads, is also against the rules...:meh:

5. oh, i just signed up on this site like yesterday and i am tryin to figure stuff out :p

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Go HERE and READ... It'll tell you everything.

7. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Dude, are you like 5 years old or something? :eyebrow:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Close... 15...

9. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Well tplyons, you are 16 and you are alot more mature than him.

10. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    go easy on the little fella :D but indeedee, my teacher told me i should be able to do both.

11. It's been discussed time and again, and the consensus usually is to learn both. I prefer fingers because they tend to be more precise and better for muting, but picking is fun because it's an entirely different style.

12. Sheesh, give him a break, maybe he isn't as computer literate as a lot of us are.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This and it's duplicate thread, should be preserved as a perfect example of "how not to make a good impression on a message board"!!! or "what not to do"" ;)

14. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    some can play with fingers but i just cant, when i do all the notes sound muddy and inconsistent...i play with a pick always

15. Picks bring out more midrange in your tone when you use one, if you turned the mids/highs up on your EQ and played finger, it wouldn't give you the same tone, but you would be closer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.