1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which way to go...Octave Pedal Decision.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Geddyfleaharris, Mar 26, 2009.

1. After selling off my board last year it is time to put another one together. I pretty much know where I am headed for most pedals but when it comes to an octave pedal I am torn. Looking for some input.

Do I go for:

1) EBS Octabass alone
    2) EHX BMS alone
    3) Micro Pog alone
    4) Octabass with a Micro Pog for variety
    5) BMS with another octaver i.e. Boss OC-3 or Micro Pog

I have used the Micro Pog in the past and liked its synthy tones but wouldn't mind having some analog warmth too. I have also used the Whammy IV and loved the pedal but consider it to be something more than just an octave pedal.

I am more leaning to options 4 or 5 and am really GASing for the BMS.

Thanks in advance for comments!

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Well the BMS octave down sounds noiser and synthier than the Octabass, and would complement it well, plus you get tons of other cool toys on it.

what about the MXR bass octave plus? haha

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    OC2 into BMS with an EHX worm after, notched or deep and super slow will give you my all time favourite giant low electric tone

4. you not an OC2/3 fan, geddy?
    I got oc2 for standard octaver, Micropog for 12-string sounds and BMS for big F*cking filter sweeps.

I've never used the Octabass but i'd find it hard to believe that it was significantly better than the OC2 in terms of tracking/tone/general performance.

5. Wow. All your bases are covered, so to speak lol. I have never tried the OC2/3. It is an option. And around here a lot cheaper than the Octa or Mpog

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i have an oc2, a pog, whammy 4, and an ampeg subblaster.

they all do their thing quite well.

pog: perfect, but it does not have that classic analong sound. it has it's "own" sound......but it tracks perfect. it is absolutely perfect....and you can use it for organ sounds......i use it for +2 octave.

whammy: i use this as an instrument in itself.......i like to just do octave sweeps and do some electronic stuff with it.

oc2: good synth tone

subblaster: HIGHYL underrated. my fav analog octaver so far.

7. stoneboy26

stoneboy26

Jul 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Thump Music
    I just went through the dilemma of finding an octave pedal. Here is Oz we don't ahve a big range in stores - no microPOG!!!

Anyway, I tried:

EBS Octabass
    MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
    Boss OC-3
    Guyatone Micro Octave

I was set on getting the EBS as surely it would be better than anything that Boss puts out, but I went with the OC3. Seemed to track better than the EBS and the MXR. Guyatone was no good for me as it is more of a fuzz/octave type pedal either that or there was something wrong with it! :)

8. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The Guyatone was working as it should. The OC3 tracks better than the EBS and MXR mainly because it is digital, though of all the octavers I've tried, it was by far my least favorite.

9. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I own the BMS XO (and owned the old big jawn) and LOVE it. Octaver for octave and suboctaves + square wave (which sounds great teamed up w/ a fuzz) + attack delay (which I never use, but would be cool) + filters galore = one versatile, great pedal. Don't be scared by the sliders. You'll remember your settings in a month or two once you're good friends w/ the BMS.

The POG is a great option too, but as a HOG owner, I think the latter is worth every hard-earned penny. It has a zillion octaver options, plus wah, filter, etc settings along with the attack delay and envelope section...plus it has an expression switch on it!!!

10. +1 on the HOG. I don't stop learning about that pedal. It was sweet when I got it, and it just keeps getting better.

BMS GAS hurts so bad.

11. I really like my OC-3. You can switch it to OC-2 mode and get a great synthy sounding octave. Plus it has a drive mode where you can add some dirt to the signal along with the octave. I think it is a very versatile and great sounding pedal for the money.

12. Thanks for the replies! I think a BMS is going to have to come my way. Then it will be a coin toss for the OC3 or the Mpog. Or if I really go over the top a Hog or Pog lol.

I am kicking myself today. There was a brand new BMS on Ebay on Wednesday for $229 plus a bit for shipping. I hesitated rather than just buying it and it was gone in a matter of hours. Seemed like an excellant price.

13. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Personally I hated the tracking on the EBS. I had my wife's Jazz band's bassist try it( he has a softer touch) try it as well. Niether of us were impressed, considering the price. I prefer the Boss OC-3, have never tried the pogs.

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Tried the octaver setting on the Digitech Bass Synth Wah at all? Sounds pretty good and tracks perfectly... but it doesn't do a solo octave, which is why I ended up with an OC-2 instead!

15. How do you like the BSW? Not to derail the thread, but I'm thinking of picking one up (for MUSE covers, among other things).

And to the OP, have you considered the new MXR M-288 BOD? :)

16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    It has a good octaver, okay envelope filter, but the synth is a bit lame, ok for some noise making but no good for Muse covers. For that I'll stick with the Wooly Mammoth. But let's not turn this into another Chris Wolstenholme thread!

17. I love MXR pedals so I am waiting for a local store to get them in stock. I went with a Boss OC3 and so far really like that pedal! I also have a EHX BMS on the way to me. Can't wait for that to get here! :hyper:

18. Agreed. Thanks for your input.

19. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    I'm a real fan of MXR pedals. However, I just spent yesterday with the new MXR Octave Deluxe M-288 pedal. My buddy was heading home for Easter and brought it for me to try. I already have the EHX MicroPog, so I was expecting it to blow the MP away... It didn't. The M-288 has some great warm tones and it tracks okay, but below the A it was pretty sketchy. I'll be keeping my MicroPog. The MP compliments my MXR DI+ and/or MXR Chorus perfectly and the tracking is sooo good. JMHO.

20. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    you're comparing a digital octave effect to an analog octave effect so I don't know why you were surprised by that