Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which way to go on Aguilar cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Z4NC, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    I'm relatively new to the forum and recently starting playing bass again after a 12 yr hiatus. I have a 1x15 SWR with a Hartke 350w head, but want to upgrade my cab. thinking of one the follwoing:

GS112 and GS210

or

two GS112s

I would appreciate any advice since I haven;t been keeping up with the tech changes and want to invest in a good and versatile setup..thanks in advance.

2. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

Two GS112's without a doubt. Although 1 GS112 is enough for any situation, I love having two for medium sized gigs. Plus you can find them on the used market pretty easily right now for $100 less than what they go brand new.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ditto, with the Poon man.

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Is 1 GS112 good enough to handle a 5 string?

5. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    drive the 2 GS112s or GS112/GS210 cabs well?

6. I would also go with the 2 112s.

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

It was good enough for me when I gigged tonight. Almost too much bass, you got be conscious of that. It handles the B extremely well. I would worry more about the 2x10 being able to handle the B. The GS410, handles the B no problem and so do the GS112's.

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    This may be true but if you need to drive them hard, the 2X10 won't cut it on a B string.

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't know if I made it clear, but that's what I was saying.

10. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    Thanks for all the feedback guys..looks like everyone favors a pair of GS112s over the GS112/GS210. The reason I was considering the GS210 was to add punch and clarity to this small rig.

For those using the GS112s do yo get enough snap-crackle-pop when playing slap?

11. Yeah, please do. I'd like to know also...

12. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

Definitely 2 GS 112s.

-One in each hand.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, it does fine. not quite an Acme B-2, but it does a decent job that holds its own against most other cabs in its class.

i highly doubt you'd be dissatisfied.

14. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I actually have four GS112s. I keep a pair in the studio and use the other pair on stage. I have a guitarist that likes mucho bass (pant-flapping style) and he requests that I place the other pair on his side. I do so. He is extremely happy. It's not necessary, but gotta keep the dudes satisfied. Last night I played what may turn out to be an audition with another band. Moderate sized bar. Every single member of the band, as well as every single one in the audience (okay, it was small--hangers on, only!) commented on the tone and presence of the bass...I had only brought two cabs and the volume on my F1-X was at 3.5! This was a loud blues/rock gig and the two little Aggies had every musician's heads shaking in disbelief.

Did I mention I LOVE these little suckers?

15. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agreed. The guys in all of my bands/combos/groups have commented on what better sound I get from my GS112's. Then again, i went from a Fender BXR Combo to these aggies, so it was a night and day difference. But still...These little guys are incredible and you can get them for great deals on the used market.

16. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Bizarre thing. Gard sells them new for just about what one can buy them for, used.

17. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    ok guys..I'm buying..where can i can the best deal on a pair of these puppies.?

18. It looks like you can get good deals @ basscentral.com.

PM Gard (TB member) you'll know more.

19. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Once you get the 2 x 112s (an excellent choice), you might want to think about throwing a little more power their way than that Hartke 350w can offer.

20. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    yes..I know the whole things snowballs..I upgraded my bass last month and now I'm shopping for the GS112s ...next is to upgrade the amp but this is more than fine for home practice...