1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which way to go?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I'm looking for an octave pedal that I would mainly use to produce an upper octave in order to fill a bit more space in my three piece band. My chain would be octaver-->distortion or fuzz-->other pedals.

I'm considering two options:

1) Foxrox Octron. I really liked the samples on Youtube and I like the analog sound of the lower octave, but I don't know if the upper octave would fit my needs.

2) EHX Micro Pog. Flawless tracking, but a bit digital sounding (I guess this wouldn't be much of a problem when feeding the octave into a dirt pedal, but I'm not sure...).

Which one would you get and why?

2. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm in a Rock Trio so I use a Micropog for the very thing you want.
    Its all about blend with the Micro. It def can sound fake if you have too much of the upper octave but if you hit the sweet spot its perfect.

I use a Rat clone -- Micropog -- a little reverb -- the occasional Flange to get surprisingly fat & wide sounding when the G player takes a lead ride. (sometimes I leave it on thru the whole song :) )

PS: I've tried a lot of other options for this (not the Octron) but the Micropog has been the best by far ... still cant believe how good it tracks!

3. Check out the T-Rex Octavius. Similar to Micropog but less digital sounding. I have never played one, but it sounds awesome in the demos i've seen. I have played the two you mention. The Octron's upper octave is more of a distortion, and the Micropog sounds a little weird to me (and lags a tiny bit).

4. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I'll definitely check that one out, thanks!

5. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have the POG2 and the upper octave is crazy funky. You might also consider looking at the Soundblox2 Multiwave Bass Distortion from Source Audio. If you are only going to use the octave with distortion, why not buy a distortion pedal that has an upper octave built in? There is a really nice demo by Will Cady on YouTube. I find the upper octave setting in the pedal a nice touch. Good luck with your search.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021