Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which way to turn?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by drd07, Jun 12, 2003.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Sorry for yet another truss rod question. I have done a lot of research, but I just wanted to verify this with all of you. My relief is .018 at the 8th fret. I would like this to be lowered to maybe a .012 or .014. Which way do I turn the truss rod? I turn it clockwise to lower it, and counter clockwise to raise it, right?

Last night, I did about a quarter turn clockwise. I didn't see much of a difference. Am I going the wrong way?

I've taken in my guitars and basses to luithers, but I'm sick of taking it in because nobody seems to get it "right" for me. Any help with this would be appreciated. I know that you are only supposed to go about a 1/8 or 1/4 turn per day (or at least for a couple of hours).
    Thanks!

2. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Oh yeah, this is a jack casady and I've strung it with fender pure nickels.
    Thanks!

3. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I'm going to try giving it another 1/4 turn clockwise. Hopefully that will help.

4. JimKrn

JimKrn

Jun 16, 2003
    Lakeport, CA, USA
    There are a lot of people out there doing repairs and adjustments and calling themselves qualified when they are not. These individuals can cost you money, time, or, worse, damage or ruin your instrument. After so many years of playing and living in areas where no skilled luthiers are to be found, I've arrived at the following as suggestions to all musicians:
    1. Select only those repairpersons who can provide references and/or have done work for other players whose opinions you respect.
    2. Become knowledgeable about the maintenance and adjustment of your instrument. There are a lot of resources (especially with the 'net) that can educate you on any kind of repair or adjustment. You may not choose to work on your instrument yourself, but you should at least understand how repairs and adjustments ought to be done. This kind of knowledge is invaluable, especially to the working musician.
    3. With so many printed resources available, it's fairly easy and inexpensive to build a small reference library that can help to quickly diagnose problems and determine ways to fix them.

5. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I agree with you JimKrn. I have taken in my guitars and basses for the longest time and have never really gotten exactly what I've wanted. I usually end up with a large bill and have wasted my money. Sometimes I've wondered after taking my bass in for a setup, if they have actually done anything at all.

Thanks to the resources on the web, and especially a lot of help from the people here at TB, I have learned how to setup my own instruments.

I did turn the truss rod clockwise, and it lowered the action to where I wanted it. Thanks for everybody's help!

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Just as a matter of my own curiousity, why are you changing the relief by only four one thousandths of an inch? Are you trying to lower the action or eliminate a buzz?

Pkr2

7. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Pkr2
    I was trying to lower the action a little bit. I already made adjustments at the bridge, but the lower frets were still too high off. After I did another quarter turn and let the wood settle, it played like "butter".