Which 'Wick go to with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Okay, I've decided that I'm going to make a Warwick bass my next bass. But, I'm stuck between two of them.

One bass is the Warwick Corvette Standard Active. I have played a passive version in Guitar center before, and loved it.

The other bass is a Warwick Thumb bolt-on. I have yet to play one, but I am more eager to play this bass, than any other bass before. but, does it have that same signature Thumb tone that comes out in Mudvayne? Im afraid the ovangkol will give off a completely different tone.

One question for both basses... do both of them have an sctive/passive switch? I really hate to take away from the beautiful tone of the woods, which really comes out in passive mode, but im unsure about that same tone coming out in active mode.

I can get both basses for basically the same price new ('Vette - $1300, Thumb - $1500) but Ill be looking on ebay for one most likely for a used one, instead of a new one.

Any information, horror stories, or praise for these basses is greatly appreciated.
  2. personally i am a big fan of the corvette for warwicks, so i'd say warwick...also, i would say that if you liked the corvette, and the way it sounded, why not get it?
  3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I think snagging an older one with the wenge neck would really be hot.
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

As far as the Thumb, play one before you get it. They don't balance well on some people, sitting or standing. I love the tone of a thumb, but it never sits right on my lap, and neckdives like a suminabeetch when I'm standing with it.

Warwicks with actives usually have a push/pull switch on the volume knob to switch from active to passive.

Not a big difference in tone between Ovankol and Wenge to my ears. But there is a big difference in feel, and durability.
  5. i love corvettes, especially considering i find them just as good, if not better, than thumbs at a lower price.
  6. What about the Ovangkol body on the Thumb??? From what I've heard, the wood is what gives Warwick basses their voice. I'm afraid that the bolt-on ovangkol body will give a different tone than that of a neck-through Thumb.

Any "special" kind of strap reccomended when playing a Warwick, particularly a Thumb???

(Oh, btw, the neckdive shouldn't bother me too too much, I usually wear my bass somewhere in between my stomach and my chest, which is why the contoured Thumb intrigues me to begin with. All other basses, just feel "weird" worn at that height IMO.)

7. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    yeah i would go with the thumb bolt on if you got the money. i have a five string one and it growls like crazy and it is all ovankol and gets a good mudvayne tone if thats what your looking for. and mine doesn't neck dive too much anymore because i started wearing it like you with it up around my stomach/chest. i don't have any experiece with the corvette though and +1 to the getting an older one with the wenge neck, i've heard great things about them.
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    It's tough to go wrong with either. Personally, I prefer the Corvette over the Thumb, because the bubinga adds more clarity to the tone, but isn't as growly as the Thumb, thus giving me a more sizzly slap sound. Though the Thumb's slap sound is very authoritative. In addition, I prefer the way the Corvette balances against my body. Still, the 'Vette is nowhere near as bright as some of the ash or maple bodied basses I've played. But it is a bit brighter than the Thumb.

I'm a biased Corvette Standard man myself, but what works for me may/ may not work for you. Still, only a Warwick can truly growl like a Warwick, so best of luck in your bass search.

I remember when I was fence-sitting with regards to a Warwick. A newer model Thumb bolt-on (with ovangkol neck, graphite nut) I tried in a music store only confirmed that I wanted a Warwick. But I ended up buying a used '97 Corvette from a TalkBass member (wenge neck, brass nut) and I absolutely love it. That bass makes me sound like a better bassist than I really am.
  9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i pick the Thumb for you :p because i love the heavy weight basses,my usual gigs are between at 30mins to hour and a half of playing with some resing pauses of 15 minutes,Thumb for me. :hyper:
  10. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I have a thumb bolt-on 4, lovely tone, so pure, but very dark and growly, it may seem heavy to some, but i dont find it heavy (and im not very big!) , the weight isnt something i concentrate on anyway, but try out both and see where you go from there.. you have your own tastes.

11. there is a nice thumb bass at the low end
    it used to be mine, light weight sounds and plays fantastic!
    i have been sting ray crazy and that is why i traded it.
    really really nice one that sounds like it's in your price range.
    good luck in your search!
  12. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I vote Corvette as well but please try out a Thumb BO if possible. I wouldn't be too concerned about the differences in wood as much as the difference in pickup placement. Based on what I've read Bubinga and Ovankol are supposed to have similar acoustic properties but I've never had the opportunity to conduct a direct comparison. Anyways the pickup position on the Thumb is unique giving it more of a signature tone. I just tried one out the other day and that's what I was hearing. Still a great tone and fun to play. I like the smaller body and concave back but as others have stated, you need to evaluate the balance for yourself - sitting and standing. The Corvette is heavy but balances so well that it makes up for the weight, plus the straps that are available today will definitely help with that, i.e. Comfort Strapp, NeoTech. I loved the tone of my Corvette, it definitely screams Warwick but I always felt it was versatile enough to be played in a variety of musical settings.
  13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The advantage of an all-wenge neck
    Don't try this at home ;)
  14. Speaking of versatility...

..Ive heard of several people getting rid of their Thumb basses due to lack of versatility. is this a problem that soe of you ran into? Is that "signature" tone something that I could use for jazz as well as hard rock??? (ie. metallica, godsmack, mudvayne, staind, etc, etc.)

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know it's not one you mentioned, but I would really check out a $$ Warwick if you are in the market for new bass from that company.
  16. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002

:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!
  17. RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    As an ardent J-bass fan, I recently picked up a Corvette $$ (fretless). My idea of a "modern" bass. The Corvette line is amazing and there are about 5 different versions to choose. I was looking for max versatility and something that was comfortable to play sitting down. The $$ continues to exceed my expectations. Under $1,200, I think it is mucho bang for the buck. Good luck!
  18. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Good... good god! :eek:
  19. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I've heard of people using Warwicks for jazz. I also remember seeing some country-ish folk rock band using one. I've seen them pop up places where I wouldn't think they'd be.