Which wire goes to shield and which to tip for cab cables?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Mar 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Just wanted to know where the negative and positive wire goes on a jack plug for cab cables?

My own guess is that + will go to tip and - goes to shield, is that a correct assumption?

Clark Dark likes this.
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    You have wires marked - and + ?

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

yes, the negative side should be chassis ground & goes to the sleeve side
    tip is always positive

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Clark Dark likes this.
  4. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Thank you, it seems like I did it correct cause it works :bassist:

Clark Dark and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Funny thing is the correct color code for a non-DC signal is black hot (tip), white neutral (sleeve). Normally no shield on a speaker cable.

6. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I did mean sleeve and not shield....

I think in Denmark we call it positive and negative regardless that it is an AC current though.

The important thing however is that I got it solved.

Also the cable that was used as speaker cable had a brown and a blue wire, and the brown one turned out to be the hot signal, even if, as far as I know, it is usually the other way around.

7. They're marked - and + just to keep things in phase. Of course a single speaker cable will function either way.

8. Here in Australia, mains wiring is brown or red for active, black or blue for neutral. Older wiring is always brown and blue (plus green for earth). Unfortunately electricity was invented before the internet, so every country has a different standard.:smug:

FWIW, if you are wiring your own speaker cables, that's cool, but if you ever wire your own cabs for 1/4 inch jacks, make sure you use plastic plugs. Metal ones will usually short the tip and sleeve briefly as you plug in and out. If your amp is on when this happens, there's a good chance you'll blow its fuses. Or worse...