1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which wireless internet service would you recommend

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NOT, Jan 8, 2012.

1. NOT

NOT

Jul 15, 2011
    I am currently using DSL. It has always been a crappy service, but for the past year it is at an all time high of poor quality.

Anyway, what internet service would you suggest I use?

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I assume that you are aware that DSL isn't wireless...and that neither is a cable modem, which is a faster alternative.

So what's the question? Are you asking which cell phone provider (wireless) offers the greatest bandwidth?

3. I like Verizon FIOS for my internet provider.
    It's super fast and have never had a problem with it.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you're asking about cell service, Verizon is the only provider with a true unlimited data plan that doesn't cap the amount of data you can use each month. All the others have caps on the amount of data you can use without getting into additional charges.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Verizon does cap data. Sprint is the one who doesn't have data caps.

bc

6. Yup.

7. Strohsx

Strohsx

Aug 16, 2011
    Merit 10gb fiber.

AT&T doesn't seem to be doing to bad are less oppressive than many others and actually invest in their infrastructure.

8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Where are you located? Out in the sticks, or in a city (more than a few thousand people)?

Do a connection speed test- if your download speed is more than a few Mb/s, most of what you do should be OK. Upload speed will be significantly lower- DSL is acutually ADSL, which stands for 'AssymetricaDigital Subscriber Line', meaning the up/down speeds aren't the same. Broadband can be better but usually worse when everyone gets home from work and starts checking their e-mail and streaming music or movies.

A DSL account is a contract and the provider is supposed to give you the service you signed up for. I have ATT and am on a 6Mb/s plan- if I notice that it's slower, it usually passes but it could also be a hardware issue. If you're using WiFi at home and it's really slow, make sure your computer is capable of high speed- this will be shown as 802.11g or 802.11n. If your equipment is designated as 802.11n and it's still slow, you'll need to find out if other slower equipment is using your WiFi- it kind of "dumbs down" to the slowest user's capabilities. If you're the only authorized user, make sure someone else isn't using yours- if you don't have it secured, anyone can use it, like going to Starbucks. They can severely slow your speed if they stream movies and music.