Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Wireless Unit

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jimbob, Nov 2, 2005.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Nady UHF
    Nady Encore
    Sampson Airline for Bass
    or the best value for around $300.00 new.

I have to keep it reasonably priced as Christmas is coming and I have been bad this year and am not counting on Santa to pull it off.

I perform 4-10 nights a month at nightclubs and parties both indoors and outdoors. I primarily play a 4 string fretted bass in standard tuning through a Nemesis 210. I have a pedalboard sent through the effects loop, in which I have a Tuner and Chorus. I am removing some pedals (Boss OD3 and Auto-wah) from the board as I don't use them that much and I want to change them out down the line anyway.

Commments appreciated by folks who own the models :cool: ,

Comments not needed that I should spend a gazillion dollars and I suck for only looking to spend 2 or 300. :rollno:

I got a beautiful wife, a mortgage, 3 kids and a car payment to deal with so be nice.

2. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I am interested to hear others' valid opinions as well.

ETA: I forgot to add that you can check out user ratings at Musiciansfriend.com as well.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Airline, hands down. Nady stuff compresses the sound way too much. If portability is an issue, get the Airline, but if it's not, for $300 you can get a Samson Synth 32 with switchable channels, which is very convenient if you have interference. Not that you'll get a lot of interference with the Airline, but it does happen from time to time.

4. Minimaul

Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, as I am also intrested in a wireless unit. 300 bucks is around my price range too. I don't play as much, but when i play, i like to rock out.

5. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Have you considered the Audio Technica 600 series? A friend of mine plays through one, and the sound is great.

You can check it out here - http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-AUD-ATW601.html

I emailed them for the price, and it's $199.95.

Good luck with your search.

~John

6. If you have a pedalboard, then I suggest the Samson because you can daisy chain the power supply and mount it out at the front of the stage (or wherever you are). Plus, getting the receiver away from aluminum or steel rack rails helps lessen interference...which can be an issue in some bars.

I have an Airline, and although I'm not a fan of the 'bug' transmitter, the frequency response and ability to put it on my pedalboard were key selling factors. I used to use a 1/4" coupling and a short cable to my bass and put the 'bug' in my pocket. Worked great, since I tend to jump around quite a bit.

7. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks for the feeback so far. The Airline is looking favorable right now.

Hey Mo, sounds like the Bug came out of the input jack a few times unexpectedly. Is that the case? I ask because my band does do a show...we don't jump around too much because we are older and will throw a hip or tear a retina...

Good point about the Rack Mount gear...never occured to me...closer is better and I can plug it into, or in line with, my existing pedalboard...

Any significant low end loss on the Airline? Battery Life is acceptable?

8. Nope, it never came out of the jack, but there's nothing that keeps it from spinning in the jack. All but one of my basses have the jack on the side, and I rest the bass against my waist and hips, so if the bug rotated 90 degrees, I'd bang against it and think I was going to break it. Nothing ever happened. It was probably psychological, but since I was used to putting beltpack transmitters in my pocket, I just did the same with the bug and a short cable.

I love the fact that the Airline bug only uses a cheap AAA battery instead of a 9 volt, and also seemed to last longer than any 9 volt transmitter I'd ever used.

9. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    You may have sold me on this. I like the AAA program as I have about 900,000 of them at the house for all the remotes and games and toys and stuff

10. jimbob - check your private messages.