1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which would be better for me: a 410 or a 212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poor Tom, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Right now I am using a Hartke HA2500 head through a VX115 cab. My sound is meh, Okay at best. I want to get a new cab because while the 115 has nice lows, I feel that I could use more mids considering the only times I use my setup is a band setting(which is mostly rock and rock derivitives, including reggae rock surf rock classic rock, etc etc). But I also enjoy jazz and blues on a personal playing level.

So while I have been leaning towards a 410 for more mids and punch, I was thinking maybe a 212 because it would retain more lows. Am I right in this thinking? Either way the specific cabs I have in mind are the Avatar neo 212 or the neo 410. Which is the better bet? Obviously I will have no way of trying them before buying, which sucks.

Also, one of the goals I have is to be able to achieve more headroom and more overall volume, not sure if this is more related to my amp head vs. the cab, but I do know I want a new cab.

...So uh, if I still have your attention: Avatar 410 or Avatar 212?

Thanks guys!:bassist:

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Some people describe 12's as a balance between 10's and 15's.

I'd get the 2x12 besides the fact they handle half of the power of the 4x10's.
    That being said, Avatar 4x10's have a rep for a lot of bass.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Were I a straight rock & roll player - 2x12". No doubt. Heck, if decided to buy another cab (in addition to my epi 4x10") I'd get their 2x12". HUGE sounds - simply huge.

4. the avatar 410 handles the low end excellently, but larger speakers have a boomier quality that I have never heard any 10 produce. that being said I have a b210 neo and it is excellent and punchy. I honestly cant see you being disappointed with either choice though, avatar knows how to make a cabinet.