1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which would be louder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dynamicman, Jul 13, 2008.

1. dynamicman

dynamicman

Jul 13, 2008
    Which would be louder?
    Consider a 4 ohm, 200 watt head...
    Would it be more efficient to have two 8 ohm cabs attached to it... (such as in a stack)
    Or would it make any sense to have one 4 ohm cab and one 8 ohm cab attached to it? (such as a combo w/ a separate cab added to it):help:

2. Too many variables.

The outcome could change based on different amp/cab configs, brands, etc......

3. SubXero

SubXero

Apr 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    running a 4 ohm and an 8ohm off it wouldn't that technically be running it at 2 ohms? Or 2.7 ohms or something like that? I think you would really need a 2ohm amp to consider that setup. 2 x 8ohm cabs should be fine though.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Don't both speakers have to be the same ohm rating? 4 ohm/4 ohm for instance?

5. SubXero

SubXero

Apr 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    i don't believe they need to be as long as the amp can handle the load, but I think what often happens is that one ends up running louder than the other. it's definitely not worth the hassle IMO. it'd be better off using a stereo amp or something in that kind of situation.

6. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    A head rated for a minimum of 4 ohms will be below the minimum of 4 ohms if you use a 4 ohm cab combined with anything else.

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

In general, doubling the number of drivers gets you +3dB. That's the same as double the power. Mixing and matching drivers isn't always a good idea; they can sound good together, or not.

+1 on the impedance issue. You'd have to use a pair of 8-ohm cabs to avoid a load under 4 ohms.

8. dynamicman

dynamicman

Jul 13, 2008
    The setups that I'm comparing are all made by Acoustic. The one is a full satck (4 ohm head, 8 ohm 115 cab, 8 ohm 410 cab) and a combo (same 4 ohm head, 4 ohm internal 15) that I was hoping to add the 410 from the stack onto it. Wonder if this adds any clarification.:meh:

9. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Yeah, that sounds like it would be connecting a 4 Ohm cab and an 8 Ohm cab to a 4 Ohm amp. It would still be a load under 4 Ohms, which you don't want to do.

10. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    Please forgive my noobishness, but what would be the outcome if I did this any way, say I wanted to play through the combo most of the time and only wanted to add the 410 for highs occassionally. Mainly, I'm concerned as to how loud, clean the configuration would remain if I added the extra cab to the combo. I've heard that the 4 ohm cab will be louder than the 8 ohm cab, but with the 4 ohm being a 15, it should be more bassy than the 8 ohm 410 (and highs usually cut through the mix more at earlier volumes than lows, right?! :confused: :eek:

11. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Running an amp at a load lower than the rated minimum (such as running an amp that's rated for a 4 ohm minimum at 2.66 ohms, which is what happens when you connect a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab together) will usually result in the amp overheating. When your amp overheats it may shut down temporarily and then restart when it cools off, or it may burn out entirely. Depends on how well the amp was designed. A few really well-designed amps can run happily as low as 2 ohms even when they're not rated for it, but don't risk it if you're not 100% sure.

15's are not necessarily bassier than 10's, it's really all about how the cab was designed.

12. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Do NOT go below the manufacturers impedance.

Just don't do it.

No, not even then.

And a 15 is not necessarily more bassy than a 410. It depends in the induvidual cabs.

Yes, you can mix cabs with different impedances as long as you don't go below the manufacturers minimum impedance.

But as far as going below the manufacturers minimum impedance, Don't do it.

No.

:D

Joe.

P.S. The outcome would be the generation of excessive heat in electronic components that would significantly contribute to low life expectancy via component failure.

It may last 5 minutes or it may last 5 hours depending on the total power being generated.

Also, at very low volumes it may not hurt anything but then what would be the point??

13. Considering that we're talking about the new Acoustic combo, this might effect (affect?) the outcome of the decision..

http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com/topic/1634/t/New-Acoustic-I-love-it-1111.html

(I don't know if I'm allowed to post outside links.. So if I'm not supposed to.. Please have mercy?)

Scroll down to the post by "stacknobuser",
    he states that specifically with the Acoustic B200 combo that the external speaker jack is "actually a series jack, so if you add an additional cab you will decrease the output power slightly, but the additional SPL you create by having more speakers should still increase the overall sound output. "
    So do with that information what you will.. I just thought it might help.

(BTW, First post on TB, Hey guys and gals :) )

14. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    Cool, thanks for the warning bongomania & lowtonejoe. best to be forwarned than to soon be owning a burnt-out pile of useless hardware right? ;)
    And bergie, first of all, welcome to the lowend, and thanks for the link (yes outside links are permitted here at the OK Corral) I do find this info very useful indeed.
    BTW: Dynamicman & myself are the same just using different computers.

15. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Great first post!

If it is a series jack then yes, you can add the additional cab.

Yes, there iwill be a power decrease but there can be an spl increase because of adding additional drivers making the rig louder.

Possibly.

:D

Joe.

16. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    Cool, things are indeed looking up. Like I said before, I just want to add the 410 on an occassional basis when I want more hig-end punch ontop of the growl coming from the internal 15 (which I can't get enough of, I already own the b200 combo and would just like a little more defined punch). Since it is possible, I am going for it, if it works well without losing to much volume (althought the extra speaker-area should make up for some of that) than I am not looking back. :hyper:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021