Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which would have better sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Duff_Man182, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    hi....i'm new...i've read some posts and see u guys help out a lot...well i currently have a squier p-bass and was thinking what would be better...putting some seymour duncan quarter pound pickups in it or buying a new fender jazz? i mostly play punk music like blink 182 and new found glory. thanks in advance

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i play alot of blink and other punk and i found the perfect punk bass. I got a ernie ball stingray. Thats what mark orginally played on all of the first 3 or 4 albums. if you can't afford one i heard they are making a budget line for like 250 for a stingray. Mine set me back 1300, but thats what that good ol american workmanship will do. the actual bass mark plays now is a fender jazz bass with a p-pickup in it. Id even venture to say it has a p-bass neck in it. I tried to build one of these or have one made by fender and its not cheap. but if u want the exact same thing get that. I also see mark playin a pbass sumtimes, so go with that.

3. out of the two options you listed i would consider buying a fender jazz.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it depends on how much money you want to spend. these 2 options are not comparable in price and in result. if you add the sd to the squier you'll upgrade for sure the sound but you'll have a bass with no resale value (as for squier...). if you'll buy a new bass you'll spend more money, obviously, and you'll more improvement

5. I agree on the resale thing. Unfortunately, Squire is really bad at resale, even though, they're not bad at all.

You can consider selling your Squire, and buy an Mexican Jazz. If you still want that P-bass sound, you can get a descent simillar sound on a Jazz with the neck PU.

If I'm u however, I'll keep the Squire, and upgrade parts by parts. You can start with the PU, then the Preamp or Bridge and go on.

Good luck

6. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    hmmm....well i'll never sell a bass i own....so i don't care about how much it would go for....so i was thinking of buying some qrt pndr's for the p-bass and then just save up a lot and buy a mexican jazz. then i'd have 2 basses...that would so rule

7. Either way you would probably be happy with what you have. But if you are sure you are going to keep the Squire then the new pickup wouldn't be a bad idea. I have been looking at the new Fender signature for the guy from Iron Maiden. Looks nice, has the Quarter Pounder in it, and it has a Badass bridge. Does anyone know if Musicians friend or Mars might get them in? I looked on MF and they had almost all of the other new Fenders but not Harris's. Oh well....Good luck on your bass!!

8. *lies down on the couch*

Doctor it all started back when I was 5... lol

Duff man I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago when I started to play bass. I bought a Squier P-Bass and then started to save up some money, wanting a different sound, because I like you started to play bass for a punk band my friend was in... then I realize I was not really a punk fan ;) So I bought a $50 MIJ Jazz Bass copy at a music store that I frequent and made some friends with the guys that run it. He had it sitting in the back of the store, and for the price, who could go wrong? The sound that you can get out of a J bass and a P bass are quite different, and so if you see yourself playing alot of punk bass or pop rock type stuff, then the P bass is great, and the new pickups will help alot, the squier's aren't so hot. I ended up sanding the finish off my squier, finished it with wood stain and tung oil and played it up until a couple months ago, when I sold it for money for parts of my Jazz.. which is currently sitting next to me in a new red finish (it was white) no pickguard (it was brown tortiose shell) a pair of EMG J-pickups, and the original stock strings (and the bass is 21 years old!!!!!! :eek: )... Personally I am really glad that I got a hold of a jazz bass, but I sometimes miss the pure bass that I got out of my old squier...

Well, that is more of a story then a real answer, but that is my personal experience being in pretty much the same situation as you. I say upgrade the hell out of your P-bass because except for a couple things, that Squier is a grade A instument.. for Grade D price, and it doesn't get any better then that :)

Next stop for my '79 Jazz Bass, my old middleschool woodshop to make a new body for it and to slap a an old neck that I found in a dumpster (and its not tweaked!!!) defretted and covered in marine epoxy.. I like to mess with my basses...

Ok.. now I've answered WAY :eek: too many questions that were never asked :)