Which would make a better project bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Infamous_MB, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Infamous_MB

Dec 11, 2002
    Ive been looking for a low cost p-bass copy to upgrade...Ive already got the tuners, a bad-ass bridge, and a quarter pound p-bass pup...only question is should I get an SX p-bass or an Epiphone Accu bass to upgrade? they are roughly the same price, but im not sure on the stability and quality of the basses themselves...whats an under-funded bass player to do?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would get the essex, do whatever hardware upgrades you want, but mainly i would suggest getting the frets professinally leveled and made perfect, because that will decide how well it plays,.
  3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You might try contacting Hambone . . . he's done some impressive work in upgrading SX basses, from what I've seen, and he would know the extent of the work necessary, etc., and might be able to give you some pointers or help in doing the work. Figjam is right about having the fretboard professionally done -- that's one of the most crucial aspects about how well a bass plays.

People on this board have had success in dealing with Rondo music as far as returns of problem basses, so you can probably feel fairly comfortable about ordering one and it being "solid." If it's not, you can apparently exchange it pretty easily.

If I weren't tapped out due to recent purchases (three this year), I'd be really tempted to beg Hambone to make me one like his Steve Harris tribute bass from an SX. That was one heck of an upgrade, and whoever bought it got major bang for their buck, from what I heard.
  4. Do you have more information on this bass or a link to it? I'd like to have a little more information on this.

5. I like Jay Turser. I've never played one of their basses, but I'm a big fan of their guitars, (from the old guitar playin days, I don't miss them). They are vary good qualtiy, worth as much as 700 or 800 dollars, but go for around 200-300. You can find them on Ebay, or go to: