1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which would make more sense?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jun 11, 2007.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I've been wanting to upgrade to a high end Precision style bass for a while now. My 2 obvious choices would be to go for either a Lakland or a Sadowsky. Now I know even though they look the same the Lakland is passive and the sadowsky has the active pre with VTC. Now here's my question. I want whichever bass to do the modern sound along with a vintagey vibe.

Would it be smarter to get a Sadowsky Metro with the active/passive option, or just go for a Lakland and buy a sadowsky outboard Pre? What would you guys do?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    To me, the signature p-bass sound comes from a passive bass. If you are looking for that signature sound, I wouldn't bother with a bass that has active electronics. This would bring me to the Lakland Bob Glaub. If you want a p on steriods, definitely go with Sadowsky.

Both lakland and sadowsky have passed through my hands, and I will claim all day every day that the Skyline Bob Glaub I had was just as nice as the Sadowsky Metro I had, and cost hundreds less.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Good question. Either will work fine. The Lakland offers Skyline models which are very inexpensive and makes it easy to get yourself a great P for not alot of cash. The least expensive Sadowsky would be the new hybrid, around 2K with VTC. If you want a nice mixture of vintage and modern Id lean towards the Sadowsky hybrid. If you just want a nice passive P, Id find a nice skyline and call it a day

Rob

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021