which would you buy???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Apr 10, 2004.

1. KSD

19 vote(s)
  2. Stingray

29 vote(s)
  1. I've pretty much narrowed my choices for my next bass down between Ken Smith ProtoJ 5 (70's model) and Ernie Ball Stingray 5

both when used go in my price range....

I play Jam music (phish/Dead style),Christian Rock (switchfoot style), and do the occasional solo shows (vic wooten,jaco style)

so which of the two would best suit my needs of...

having a strong finger style sound,solid slap sound,good harmonics,easy for tapping

2. try a peavey millennium 5 string if you can find one (usa, not the foreign bxp crap)... best of both worlds
  3. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Ditto on the Bongo! :smug:

I haven't played the KSD (I don't think they're even available in Canada) but the Stingray sounds pretty good.

I didn't help much, did I... :meh:
  4. honestly, I can't own anything that says Peavey anywhere on it....i've had NOTHING but nightmares with peavey stuff (except some of their monitors)

i mean i can't even bring myself to consider Cirrus basses.
  5. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    go for the ray...cuts throught the mix nice. I play lots of jam rock and LOVE my ray through the SVT. I string mine with Rotosound and it gives the big slab a ash a sparkle :bassist:
    Keeping the Funk Alive in P-town for another 100 years!!!
  6. thanks so far for all of the help...there is actually a 3rd bass in the running...the Lakland 55-02 so if you have any comments on those too that'd be great
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Interesting, the Bongo I played 2 or 3 days ago was dual humbuckers... NOT MM+J, ala Lakland.
  8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    SR5 all the way man. Not even in the same ball park.
  9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Back to the original question. Has anyone tried one of the Ken Smith basses. I'm interested in the fretless 5 (once I have paid off the other basses)
  10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I didn't know switchfoot was Christian Rock.
  11. yah, Switchfoot is one of the Pioneers of modern Christian rock...they just have some songs on secular radio/mtv/movie sound tracks...which I think is awesome!!! I'm glad people are starting to appreciate a band that I have loved for years!

I played a KSD protoj 5 (70's model) at Corner music in nashville...i loved it! WIIIIIIIIDE spacing,chunky neck...which i like...pretty hot pickups (active or passive via pull knob) great slap sound, beautifully made.
  12. Stingray 5....

either that or go warmoth and get a j body with the MM-bridge and j-neck routing.....i was looking at a warmoth jazz with the MM pup with the whole kit and k'boodle and i think it was only gonna cost me $900us...but that was with just a solid walnut unfinished body, no laminate top