Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which would you buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougray, Jan 11, 2003.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i am wanting to choose between 2 basses: an ernieball stingray 5 or a fender american deluxe precision V , i know the history and quality of both,but what i need to know is the the low B,is it floppy? decent? on either the fender or stingray, ,there are no ernieball dealers in my area. any info..thanx in advance.

2. The Stingray's B is actually pretty tight for a 34" scale bass. I've heard that Fender B-strings are pretty floppy, though, but I haven't played a Fender 5-string.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have played a few Fender V's with fairly tight B's, but most of them are pretty floppy. Stingrays have consistent, decent B strings.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm with Jeff. See, Fenders are hit and miss. Some have decent B strings, others are rubber bands. Meanwhile SR5s always haver great Bs. Even the less than spectacular ones are still better than the good Fender Bs.

I'd swing the SR5.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I currently own a Fender P 5, and did own a Stingray 5 some years ago. I still kick myself for selling the Stingray, and nowadays they are a bit too expensive over here to be interesting compared to custom basses. The Stingray was the most comfortable playing bass I have yet tried, it fit by body perfectly. I also believe the B was better on the Stingray. If you like the Stingray sound I would definitely recommend it over the Fender P. And I'd rather get the Fender Roscoe Beck instead of the Precision.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I'd go with a G&L L-2500. IMO Leo got it riget with his last company. The bass is super versatile, built solid as a rock & you might be able to find a second hand one for almost 1/2 of both basses you mentioned.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Dougray,

Among both I chose the Stingray 5. Much better on many points, at least for my taste.

But do what you want. ;)

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I agree with most. The SR 5 is a great all around bass with a very good B.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The Stingray 5 probably has the best B string of any Bass available(and it's a 34"scale)a lot better than some basses that cost a lot more.as far as the Fender 5 it's a hit or miss. I use a MM 5 and fondly refer to it as my utilitie Bass.

10. that guy that talked about the G&L L2500 has a point.......I know you asked about either a Fender V or a Stingray 5.......I've played both of them...and at first.......I had to make a choice...like you. The Stingray 5 is a bit more expensive than an L2500, and yet.....I think it surpasses it in sound. The think I didn't like about the Stingray 5 was a lack of tonal versitality. I mean...if you wanna go all out with the Ray 5 sound....it's still a good buy....but if you want to be able to get many many sounds......check out the L2500.....I highly recommend it cuz I had got one in August,.....and I have no regrets.....it's great :-D.........

11. Sorry about that.....I had a couple of type-o's.
    anyways, I think the L2500 is one worth checking out. It is strung through body and the tension is great.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, definitely check out the L-2500 G&L. But if you are intent on one of the two basses that you mentioned, I would go with the Ray 5. It is the superior bass of the two, IMHO.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I hear a lot of comments about the SR5 lacking in tonal versatlity.but the reason I refer to it as my utilitie bass is because of the versatility I get from it in live and studio settings(from a thumping bottom to some of the most modern cutting thru the mix tones I can dial in)The bottom line is the SR5 works for me.

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

yup me 2!

the sound with a sr5 comes from the pre amp and from your hands.... ask gary willis!

15. Bass Player Magazine did a 5 string shootout a while ago and the Sting Ray 5 got one of the best reviews out of ALL of the basses there.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't think anyone was questioning your ability to utilize your bass.

17. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Stingray 5 the best US made non-custom 5 string bass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    No not at all Nino,I Know I was only commenting on my personal experience with the SR5.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. But I will take my Cirrus or Zon(or a Modulus, or a Pedulla MVP) over a 'Ray 5 any day.

20. Between the Stingray 5 and the Fender V I would have to say go for the `ray!True,I am a FenderFan but having played the V it did not feel like a Fender to me.They say they are hit and miss.The `Ray 5 I have messed around on was top notch!Check for yourself and see which one appeals to you most. :)