1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which would you choose and why. GK 400RBIV or SWR 350x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Gallien Krueger 400RBIV

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. SWR 350x

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Hey Guys,
    I already have the GK 400RBIV, but I have been looking at the SWR 350x as well. If you had to choose between the two, which would you get and why.Any thoughts?
    Brent

2. so why only 3 votes allowed??

BTW.... I hate GK. SWR all the way!!! (Try and find a pre fender used model, the BASS 350)

2 ohm stable, hybrid construction, very clean and HOT direct out, powerful pre amp, etc. Not to mentoion the best sound I have heard for the lot mine used wth a rack 5 years ago for $300

GK is way overrated in my opinion

the GK has 280 watts at 4 ohms, the SWR is 450 at 2.

Do you like tube sounds in your pre amp??

3. BrentSimons

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    It's been a while since I've had a tube in my amps. I used to have a Peavey Alphabass all tube head many years ago.
    Why the pre-Fender 350 and not the new 350x? Many people have commented on that but I really haven't heard a descriptive answer. Are they really that different?
    Brent

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*

5. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    I have an SWR bass 350 and absolutely love it. Best head I have ever owned. I have heard that the prefender ones are better as well but I'm sure that the 350x can't be all that different.

6. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Wouldn't trade my GK400RBIV for anything other than an 800RB or 1001RB. :p

7. BrentSimons

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Hey Guys,
    Well I picked up a SWR 350x for dirt cheap on ebay. I'm sure you guys have seen all the posts about the blowout prices. I have to say I'm pretty psyched. The sound seems a bit warmer to my ears than my GK, no doubt due to the preamp tube. I even like the subwave (octave) effect. Super construction too. I'll keep you posted.
    Brent

8. BrentSimons

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    +1 Even though I just got the SWR the GK isn't going anywhere.
    Brent