Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Would You Choose And Why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Crown UT series (I forgot the model number)Power Amp(450 Watts a side @4 ohms 1100 Watts @ 4 Ohms Bridged) and SWR IOD or an Swr 750X.Both of these would run about $950.Any other suggestions in this price range would be welcome.

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I would choose neither. Why? Because you could get a better used setup for the same price. Check out the Eden WT series or the SWR SM series. I'm high on both of these hybrid head lineups. If you are looking at the IOD for grit in your sound you may want to keep that in the mix as well. For instance you could easily get a used SM-500 and IOD for under 900 bucks. Of course, try different gear out to see what tone is to your liking...but I'd suggest buying used.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I already have an SM400S.I want more power and I am going to do a 15 months same as cash deal at Sam Ash.I have bought all of my gear used until now, but I don't have the cash to buy used right now.Can't anyone give their opinions on either of these two setups?

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    crown power amp and SWR IOD preamp.. or a carvin power amp and SWR IOD preamp...
    Thats just what I think of course..

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Given the choices, probably the power amp/IOD.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm sold on the SWR Bass 750 but haven't played through the new X amps. I assume (always dangerous) they're essentially the same. If so, the 750 is a loud, clean amp with excellent clarity that lets the tone of your bass come through quite well.