1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which would you choose???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlwarriner, Apr 3, 2006.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    given the choice between the following cabs, which would you choose, in my situation?

Berg NV610
    Schroeder 310212
    Schroeder 21012
    Schroeder 410
    Dr. Bass RX2260 + RX115

I play mostly hard rock/metal, tuned to either standard D# or Dropped C#. i've used a peavey 412tvx and an ampeg 810e. like the sound of both, hate the moving of them.

how do the schroeders compare, volume/tone to weight/portability? same with the berg?

FWIW, I'll be running off of a genz GBE1200 with mostly active instruments...

please and thanks!
    mlw

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IMO... the Berg will be a higher quality, smaller replacement for your Ampeg cab, and the Schroeder 410R would be a smaller, louder, replacement for the 4x12.

The Schroe is MUCH smaller and somewhat lighter, but very different sounding.... if you are looking for old school grind and punch... it's the Berg all the way. If you are looking for a more full range sound (i.e., tweeter and ported low end sound) in a very small and VERY loud package, then the 410R is hard to beat.

The 21012 seems to be voiced more open and wide, and seems (based on my 21012L) more appropriate for 'round wound pop sound' playing... but just IMO.

The 310121 just seems like overkill, and I've read some weird things about how the speakers are wired (i.e., that there is not even power distribution between all the 10's or something).... that would not be a good thing. However, I could have that wrong.

All of the above... just IMO as always.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree, that is a good way of thinking of it. :)

My vote would be for the NV610 (or any of the NV series cabs, with my favorite being the NV215).

Tom.

4. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    what does the "R" stand for? regular? as opposed to the lights?

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Correct. They are heavier, but whenever I see someones tone preference oriented more toward metal or rock, the voicing of the regular cabs seems to provide more deep fundamental and low mid grind versus the upper mid articulation and more 'tight' low end of many neo cabs. I don't know if this is due to the Neo speakers themselves, the lighter wood used in the cab, or all of the above. I like the lights myself, but I have a feeling our tone preferences are VERY different!

Jorg's regular 410 is a little lighter than most full size regular 410's and is quite a bit thinner from front to back than an Eden or Epifani, for example.

6. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA

my tone preference is that i want it all. deep fat lows, clear punchy mids, clean highs. i do play a lot of lower end stuff, but also use a lot of FX, and need them to come through clearly. that's part of what i didn't like about the peavey 4x12, was that too much of my FX got lost in the cab and didn't come through clear enough.

weight isn't really too much of an issue, as long as it's less than my fridge was. the main problem, though, with the 8x10 was just awkwardness and un-portability. it sounded decent, but will barely fit into my car. and with it in my car (scion xB) i can't evne haul my rack. i get my basses, the cab and my pedalboard in, and it's full :(

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    If you use distortion at all, then you might want to give extra consideration to the NV610. Overdrive/distortion tends to not sound good through tweeters, and Jim specifically designed the NV610 such that the 10's not only crank out gut-churning lows, and midrange punch/cut, but also go as high as they can to give you a smoother high end that responds well to overdrive/distortion.

Tom.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Berg! I've yet to play through a better cab for what you describe.

9. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA

is it realistic to hope to get my hands on one for less than a grand or so?

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Of course. They go for that new (and there are a few left).

Call Jim.

Tom.

11. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA

nice. thanks! (i didn't have any idea what they brought new, or used. i've not seen many up for sale...)

12. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'll agree I've noticed they've been quite scarce on the market...

Maybe that's a sign of a good thing. :cool:

13. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    of course, i've completely missed out on another, obvious, choice.

what's the general opinion on the genz benz neo cabs? specifically, the neo 2x12? will it stand as a single-cab rig?