Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
  2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Why must you do this to me? :eek:

BTW, I would probably take the Fodera, it just seems more versatile IMHO.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Me, personally, It'd be the Jazz bass. IMO< you can't have enough JAzz basses especially a nice 1963!!!!

Personally, I'm not familiar with Fodera's at all, so I can't comment. It does look beautiful. One too many strings for me. :)

5. Before looking at the pics, I would have said Fodera, because unlike Nino, I think that my one Jazz is enough.

After checking them out, I'd go for the Jazz; that colour on the Fodera is a little too pretty for me, and that Jazz (if authentic) has a real nice comfy look.

6. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Fodera without thinking... But on second thought, I would take the jazz, sell it again (hopefully for a profit) and then use that money for a Fodera built to my specs!

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Both.

I also without looking would have said fodera...
    but that Jazz bass Is beautiful

however.. if you are like me.. you can't afford both.. if you are looking for versitality.. go with the fodera.. if you want a huge tone... Go with the fodera... i'm sorry what I meant to say is.. go with the fodera..;)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No offense but with a choice of a stripped Jazz or a painted Fodera...

neither.

If I'm buying a vintage bass, I'd want it with the original finish intact. If I was getting a Fodera it would be with a natural finish. Both of these stances are from a resale POV because if I had to sell them I know these aren't that easy to sell at value. A Fodera 6 for $3k should be an excellent deal yet it's still available. I think I know why.

It's a local bass, I'm going to see if I can take a look at it.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If I were looking for a player, I would go for the Fender. If I were looking for something to collect, I would still take the Fender. Although the refinish did hurt resale value, I believe that as the "all original" ones become "collected" and less available, in the furture "refinish" won't be as bad a word. There are only so many.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think you're right, Turock... it seems to be happening now.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'd go for the Fodera - I'm mostly a 6 player, and would like that sound better overall. (as you can see, I've bid on it. . .but only up to the "oh my god what a bargain!" price, $3k isn't in that range for me)

But I agree with Brad - it's really too bad that AJ is so . . . painted . . . whereas a gleaming Lake Placid Blue '63 would have me drooling (I'd probably still go with the Fodera though - I don't like Fender-style basses at all, playing wise).