1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which would you do? Add a cab, replace the cab/amp, or replace the whole mess?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noshtero, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Add another 8 ohm cab

27 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Replace the cab with a 4 ohm cab

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Replace the amp with something that pushes more to 8 ohms

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Replace both the amp and cab for an amp that pushes more and a 4 ohm cab

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. Noshtero

Noshtero Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I run a Backline 600 into a GLX410. So since that cab is 8 ohm, I'm getting what, 150ish watts out of the Backline? Needless to say, it isn't all that loud.

So I have four options:

Option 1 -
    Add another 8 ohm cab. (caveat, the glx410 already weight 100lbs.)

Option 2-
    Replace the head with something that drives more to 8 ohms, probably a LMII or Shuttle 6.0

Option 3-
    Replace the cab with something at 4 ohm, probably an Avatar 2x12

Option 4-
    Replace both cab and amp for something more powerful and 4 ohms.

We're looking for a bang for the buck scenario. I like the GK tone, but honestly it's all I've ever played through.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Rule #1 of volume:

Doubling the speakers always makes way more volume than doubling the wattage.

3. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    ditch the Gallien cab and get a pair of 8 ohm avatars

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There it is.

5. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Unless you're in a stadium rock band, a smaller cab is always better. :cool:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've got an old SVT 810 that would argue with you. And not because I play loud...because I never do anymore. I say it just because it sounds bigger and fuller.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Get a more powerful head and a pair of efficient 8-ohm cabs... :meh:

MM

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    As Jimmy says!

Paul

9. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    So start with getting another 8 ohm cab. And then if that's not enough, replace the head?

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Start by replacing the cab with another 8 ohm cab. If you still need more volume then add another 8 ohm cab. If you still need more volume then replace the head.

I used to own that same rig. IME/IMO the BL 600 isn't a bad head at all but that GLX 410 is a heavy SOB and it doesn't sound that great either. Nor is it particularly efficient.

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ditch that oversized, overweighted metal monstrosity. Get an LDS or Dr. Bass vertical 212 with extended xmax deltalites, in 4 ohms. It'll put out more volume and sound better and project just as well (if not better).

That should do you until you are ready to replace the amp - at which time you get something 2 ohm (or dual 4 ohm) capable and get another just like it.

I hear Dr. Bass is working on a vertical 212 with a midrange right now that should be pretty smokin.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's the most cost effective way to do it. I know it's heavy, but a second 410 would kick a whole lot louder.

13. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I love getting Quoted

14. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    So if I get an Avatar 2x12, then the question becomes do I

A) Get 8 ohm and be locked into almost always needing to use both cabs, but having all sorts of volume.

B) Get 4 ohm, and hope it's enough otherwise I need to buy a bigger amp.

With ample power, could I hold my own against 2 fiery guitars with just a 2x12 at 4 ohms getting 600ish watts (Shuttle 6.0)? I know what an 8 ohm 410 with 150 watts sounds like, and I would think getting 4 times the power would be pretty substantial. I understand more is always more, but I don't really want to lug two giant cabs all the time, but also don't want to be stuck having to spend a load of cash because I painted myself into an "ohm corner".

15. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    You could get an 8 ohm Avatar 2x10 cab. Then you could match it with your current 4x10 for a 4 ohm load at 6x10. You could also use the 2x10 alone for quiet gigs (if you do such a thing).

You could also later add another 8 ohm 2x10 (for 2 2x10s at 4 ohms total) and have something a little more transportable and lighter than the 4x10.

Just a thought.

16. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    One 8 ohm will probably be properly loud, but if you get the 4 your stuck at one cab.

I like dmrodgers idea. that should work well also.

Like Jimmy said, it's speakers over watts. every time. Doubling your power will earn you 3 db. doubling your speakers will earn you much more. there is no reason to get into a larger head,running that Backline into a 4 ohm load is plenty of watts for almost any gig.

Like Shea stadium, Beatles second tour, a little more oomph is needed, other than that, you should slay.

if you want to save weight, Avatar neo's are a good choice. they also have a high sensitivity rating and are just stupid loud.

17. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Ditch the head. I played through one of those recently and it was awful. Most muddy head I've ever played through.

18. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    He likes the tone. It's volume he's after- I think he's got the answer.

19. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    ditto...

20. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    OK so first things first, I'll pick up an Avatar 2x10

If not loud enough, I'll pick up a larger head.

If it is loud enough, then I'll probably try to trade the 410glx for either a 410 or 212 Avatar at some point just because the 410glx sounds crappy and weighs as much as Buick.

THANKS!