1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which would you do?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JACink, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Fender Super 55 Splits on Jazz, leave Fretless alone

10.5%
  2. DiMarzio DP123s on Jazz, leave Fretless alone

15.8%
  3. Fender Super 55 Splits on Fretless, Duncan "D"s on Jazz

15.8%
  4. DiMarzio DP123s on Fretless, Duncan "D"s on Jazz

31.6%
  5. Other (please see list of available P'ups in 1st post)

26.3%
  1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I have a Jazz bass that I would like to upgrade the pickups on, and I also have VM Fretless.

Although the Jazz is mainly used for practicing, I would like it to have a tone that would be more orientated towards the slap kind of sound (if that makes any sense!).

I have read on a few ocasions that the Duncan designed pickups on the VM are good for the "slap tone", but as mine is a fretless, I have no experience with slapping it (sometimes I want to slap myself though! :D )

So, as you have seen in the poll, should I upgrade the Jazz and leave the VM alone, or move the Duncan Ds to the Jazz and upgrade the fretless?

Please note that the only pickups I have available (in my current price range) are:

Artec VJAZZ (I have never heard of these!)
    Fender Original Jazz Bass
    Fender Super 55 Split Coil
    Fender CS60 Jazz
    Fender N3 Noiseless
    Seymour Duncan SJB-2
    Seymour DUncan SJB-3
    EMG JHZ
    DiMarzio DP149
    DiMarzio DP123

All opinions are gratefully received! :bassist:

2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Change strings first. You may not need pick ups.

3. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I have replaced my pickups with the Duncan STK-2J's lover the full tone and sounds....I a have tried the Dimarzio's and they are nice too, but chose to go with the Duncans.
    I put them on my fretted and frettless.

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If you are mainly looking for a "slap sound" Ultra Jazz for sure. They have that boosted high and low thing for sure. I've used most pickups on that list and while they aren't my favorites the Ultrajazz are probably what you're looking for.

I would leave the fretless alone. If you try pickups in your fretted and they don't work there you can always move them over to your fretless.

5. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    +1 on the Ultra Jazz. Killer sounding for slap or anything else.

6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for the input!!

So the Ultra Jazz are the DP149?

(@ aproud1: just out of curiosity, what are your favourites?)

7. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    DP149 = UltrasJazz

What are my favorites? Depends on the bass and what you are trying to do... went through 3 of the pickups on your list before refusing to change the Original Jazz for Clement #296. Bass is pretty bright and the original jazz have a smooth bottom and unclanky high that I was looking for.

Do you care if you go active? do you care about noiseless pickups? If you really want that slap sound the Ultrajazzes will certainly give you that. Plus they are humbucking so noise shouldn't be an issue.