Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which would you pick and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by subsonic, May 5, 2005.

1. MTD Kingston 5 Passive (w/ pickguard)

22 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. G&L Tribute L-2500

24 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Yamaha RBX 375

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Lakland Skyline 55-01 Std. (but its used and I'm weary)

33 vote(s)
    35.5%
  5. Warwick Rockbass Streamer Standard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. None of the above (Suggestions welcome!)

14 vote(s)
    15.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I've narrowed it down to these, a quick poll? Sell me on your choice... why is it the best?

Thanks!

1. MTD Kingston 5 Passive (w/ pickguard)
    2. G&L Tribute L-2500
    3. Yamaha RBX 375
    4. Lakland Skyline 55-01 Std. (but its used and I'm weary)
    5. Warwick Rockbass Streamer Standard
    6. Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic
    7. None of the above (Suggestions welcome!)

2. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

I'd seriously look at a Lakland 55-02. However I'm not sure what you're looking for. Out of the suggestions you have above, I really like the Lakland 55-01. I guess it depends on what type of music you are playing and what type of tones you like. I think a big difference in these basses is the neck feel. The Warwick has the baseball necks, the lakland has the flat neck, the G&L has really small string spacing and if I remember right a relatively thick neck, the MTD has an asymetrical neck, etc. Then we get into scale of each of these basses.

3. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    unless it's a money issue, buy a used stingray. Good for everything and a decent sized neck.

4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    For the price of one of the Rockbasses, you could get a used genuine Warwick Streamer Standard. I've owned 2 of them, and they're pretty sweet basses. And they do NOT have "baseball bat" necks.

Jake

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I voted MTD/Lakland. Both (especially the Lakland) will sound and play better (IMHO) and especially the Lakland will be plenty versatile.

I've never liked Warwicks, way too fat of a neck, though I do like the tone... and I think even less of the cheaper Rockbasses... even if I were to own a Warwick, I'd much rather just save/wait to buy a "real" one used than a Rockbass either new or used. Again... IMHO.

I've played a G&L Tribute 2500 and been very unimpressed. Sounded too "dull" for my tastes, tho I do think they're made very well.

Same for the Yamaha, except a lot more of a "one trick pony" rock bass. I bought a 775 on clearance from MF and sent it back. Just way too limiting and not the tone I'm lookin' for.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I think the G & L Tribute will be the most versatle. They are priced right too.

Just my $.02

7. Thanks for all the input so far folks, it is very appreciated! The Stingray 5 would be terrific, but it's just too pricey for me right now, even used, and I would really like to buy a new bass if I could. I know there are deals to be had on used gear, but I'm uneasy about buying it because I don't know its history. That is the deterring factor about a used Streamer and the used Lakland. I just can't afford to buy a 55-01 new, let alone a 55-02 which has the U.S. pickup configuration and electronics that I much prefer. Essentially, I'm limited to about $500-$600 U.S. Maximum for a new 5-er, so I'm liking the sound of the Kingston so far, but the G&L is on the map, too.

Thanks again,

Steve

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Maybe consider a Lakland 55-01, as well? Awesome basses, and about the same money.

9. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I chose the Tribute L-2500 over a few of the bases you listed for a couple reasons. The L-2500 and 55-01 (or -02 even??) are supposed to be very versatile, which is the biggest thing for me. I play a lot of blues and classic rock at the moment, but am guessing I'll go exploring new stuff at some point. Mostly what did it for me was the 34" scale length and closer string spacing. I have an Ibanez BTB405 for a while and really never got comfortable with the longer scale or the wide spacing. Brand new shipped from G&L (bought from retail place and drop shipped) it cost me $550.00 and you can snap one up off Ebay pretty cheap if you watch for a while.

Very interesting Vics, I've never seen anyone say that about any G&L's as far as I can remember. In fact I keep seeing references to "taming" the L-2500's aggressive tone. Did you find a dud, or try one with dead strings and/or bad setup or something? Maybe a lot of people have said the same and I just missed them all, I dunno!

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Dunno, but I can play a Tribute 2000 as well as a US 2000 at the same store and tell you later. Basically, it just didn't seem to have much depth to me. I don't necessarily mean it couldn't cut thru a mix or be aggressive... obviously, these basses work for lotsa' folks... just not me. I found myself frustrated with how it could get "close" to some great (especially Fender-ish) sounds, but just not all the way there. The bridge seemed to lack "bite", the neck seemed to lack a bit of definition.

The Tribute 2500 I played is also a cherry burst deluxe (my fave model) and at a store owned by a friend, so he cut me a great deal. Took it home on eval, expecting to keep it (actually waiting for it to come in originally). Returned it the next day. Just didn't work for me.

Again, all subjective, IMHO.

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Street price on a new Lakland 55-01 is $600-$700; 55-02s are a few hundred more. I like the sound of the 55-02 better, but the 55-01 is a great deal. One of the best features of the Laklands is the B-string. Graphite neck reinforcements and truss rod, along with the 35" scale and quality craftsmanship result in a really good B-string.

I hate floppy B-strings. :spit:

I've heard good things about the Kingston basses, and the G&Ls I've played have been pretty good, but I'd rather have the 55-01, personally.

12. You all make valid points, thus, I am still unsure about which way to go! It seems like I can't go wrong with Lakland, G&L, or MTD, though (their offshore models, anyhoo!).

13. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I vote Lakland BABY :cool: :bassist: :bassist:

14. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I voted for G&L, as I am a big fan of them.

The pickups alone are worth the price of a used Truibute.

However, I have no experience with a 2500 Trib., so take this post with a grain of salt.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I voted for none of the above. I'm about to dive into 5-string land and am mere fractions of an inch away from a Dingwall Afterburner 1. That would obviously be my choice!

16. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Check out the Active Kingston, since they're in your price range.

17. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    MTD or Lakland 5501.

Versatility and looks!!!

18. I voted MTD...all i'v eheard about them is great. Even PROFESSIONALS play Heirs or Kingstons over some high end stuff...

you didn't mention the heir...check it out its a kingston with an added J

19. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Lakland for sure. The string spacing is the standard 3/4 and they also have a real versitile tone. This is all IMO of course.

I mean c'mon

Lakland...for sure..

20. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Jazz Bass forever and for all uses,includind for fishing,for fight in a war,for play tennis,and even for broke the head of your boss....Jazz Bass for everithyng......... :rolleyes: