Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Would You Pick for a Backup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 24, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now that I have settled on my Stingray 5 as my main bass, I want one reliable backup instrument for a change of pace and for the times when the SR5 is getting setup. As of this writing, I'm thinking that my upper limit will be around $900 give or take $50. The two basses I am most considering are a SR4 ( local dealer has some killer SRs on blowout) and a Lakland 55-01. The advantages I see to either are that the SR4 would be a change from the SR5 and it would be nice for when I really wanted to wail with my thumb. The 55-01 would be a better backup for choir work since it has the same range as the SR5 and its different tone would be a nice change from a Stingray. Which sounds like a better choice? I really want to settle down with this second bass and maintain this rotation for at least 3-5 years.

2. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    If your local dealer is having some killer blowout deals on SR's then I would stick with your SR. We have a 90's used natural SR5 for $750 and some newer used SR4's and SR5's around $800 in my neck of the woods.

Lakland, of course, is a great choice and would give you a slightly different song to sing.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    maybe it's just me, but I don't see much point in getting an SR4 if you have an SR5. The only rationale I can think of for that is that you play a lot of gigs and are paranoid about your SR5 dying on you (or popping a string), and want exactly the same sound in your backup.

If that's what you want, go for it.
    But I'd say go with the Lakland. It'll be something different, expand your sound range, and help you think about your music in a different way.

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I think if your a 5 string kind of guy you may want to get another 5 string because if your SR5 is in the shop and you got a gig or something it always nice to have another 5 so you dont have to mess with reconfiguring how its played on a four. Its not to big of a hasle but for a backup I would stick with the same # of strings. As for what bass to buy I wouldnt get another SR , as much as I love SR's I wouldnt get another because I like variation so I would go with the Lakland or you cant go wrong with a standard MIA Fender Jazz there always great.

5. I never played a Lakland, but I agree with Broach, and would stay with the same number of strings.

I'd even go so far as to say get a Bongo 5 for your backup, but it might turn the tables on your SR5, and make it the backup. :D

Mike

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Wow, that's a great budget for a back-up!! For a slight change of pace I think all the for-mentioned basses would be great choices. I would, however, suggest getting something with a different fret-board material, i.e. maple if you all ready have rosewood, or vise-versa. That way you will have a bit more bite, or a bit more warmth on songs that require it.
    EDIT: oh yea, I put together a Warmoth 5 for my back-up. Lot's of flexability and options available there as you know, plus it's alot of fun puting your "spin on it". With wood selection and pick-up selection and placement you could set it up to accell in the area(s) where you think your SR may be lacking, that is of course, if there are any!!!

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd also vote "stick with a 5" ... if you got one of the laklands with a neck pickup, I think that would be handy for dialing in a J-bass tone every now and again.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm actually in a similar situation except my budget is lower-i'm looking into an SUB5 as a backup for my Ray5. You might like em. Other wise-i'd stick w/another 5er. That's all

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Personally, I prefer to have a classic bass in the stable, for me it's a Fender P. Have you tried the Deluxe American Precision Bass?

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A SUB5 does make alot of sense as a backup and I could get one pretty cheap too. If the bass is a true backup, a five makes the most sense to me. The four would be good change of pace but mainly for doing heavy slapping involving lots of open E strings. Overall, the five would work better too because i know i can get a great backup five for $450-750 instead of the $900+ I had mentioned when I first posted.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to say I really have a soft spot for a P bass also but I really and truly need to limit myself to two basses for the peace of my household. :)

12. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    A Schechter Stilleto Elite 5 with CB Barts and pre-amp. :D

13. I haven't played one yet, but the new Yamaha BB series looks really nice to me. And they're all in the $450 - $600 range.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Home/YamahaHome/

Click on guitars, then bass guitars, then BB series.

You can also see them at Musiciansfriend.com

I think one of these would make a great backup. I own a different low-priced Yammie and love it.

Mike ;)

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That BB415 looks like the ticket! I always loved those old passive BB series Yamahas. They were beautiful looking and sounding basses. I used to have a BB 2000 myself. The price on these really looks good. Nobody around here seems to have one yet. That's the biggest problem I see.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    $449.99? That will definitely work. I've just got to find one to play.

16. If you can't find one locally, MF has that 45 day no questions return policy.

I'm getting tempted myself.

Mike ;)

17. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    The lakland 5501 is cool however the soapbar config. doesn't give you the mid control thingy. It's stuck at the 600hz. setting which is a lot of mid for me. The 5502 gives you the musicman and single coil config. and you can do some very cool blending with that set up. With my 5502 I can get stingray, jazz, pbass, and smith tones all day long. Get a lakland and watch your stingray 5 become your backup.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I doubt if the 55-02 would make my Stingray a backup. To me, Lakland does not get a true Stingray sound. It can get somewhat close but not quite. I wouldn't mind a 55-02 though, but it is a bit more than I want to pay at this time.

19. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I hear what your sayin' Doc. I'm just so sold on Lakland I've got blinders. Nobody likes me in the bass forum. I'm too over the top for them I guess.

20. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

+1

I owned a SUB5 briefly...couldn't get along with the Stingray tone but other than that they are AMAZING for the $$. If the SR5 is your main then in pretty much makes sense the SUB5 would be your backup. My 2 cents.
    -Bazz-