1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which would you pick?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daywalker, Apr 26, 2006.

Which set-up and why?

Poll closed May 27, 2006.
  1. Aguilar - DB750/GS410/GS212

32 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Eden - WT800B/D410XLT/D212XLT

19 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. Mesa Boogie - Bass 400+/Powerhouse 4X10/Powerhouse 2X12

23 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. Other - Some other 4X10/2X12 set-up

20 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Just like the title says, which set-up(if $ wasn't an issue) and why. I'm considering these three and I'd like to hear some pros and cons. Anyone that has tested, owns, used to own, or even thinking of owning any of these set-ups feel free to chime in. Thanks...

DW:bassist:

2. The mesa gets my vote, i wpuld have prefered an ampeg personally, but the mesa out of those other ones, its just the kind of sound i look for really, i think the aguilar might be capable of it, but not totally sure

3. i said aguilar just because i like them for my style of music...I think that mesa rigs have a pretty aggresive color to them, so they sound good in rock
    eden kinda makes me think of a more hi-fi sound, maybe more in jazz and stuff like that...aguilar...i don't know..they do good in a lot of things :)

of course this is just my opinion, i am sure eden is perfectly good in rock, and mesa can probably do jazz...i'm just saying how they sound to me

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd go with the Mesa for rock or metal. I may be biased because I use a similar setup myself.

5. i voted mesa. I have some of the powerhouse series cabs (2x10 and 1x15) and played out of the 6x10 and the 4x10 and have yet to be disappointed with anything mesa has to offer. Really crush and tight lows for rock and stuff and nice highs as well. The mesa 400+ is also a monster. Super loud, all tube, just like the cabs, crushing lows and nice highs too. I would definitly go with mesa rig on this one.

6. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Easy! Glockenklang Heart-Rock, Quattro (4x10) and Double (2x12). Can't go wrong. Pure sound and lots of power. I'm half way there - already using a HR and Double, although I'll probably only add a 2x10.

7. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    All these comments, yet Eden has the most votes!! Eden does NOT color your sound and can be clear as a bell or you can get down & dirty. It has the best EQ system of any and the power to knock paint off the walls!!!
    ...just one mans opinion, of course...

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    You know, I was wondering the same myself. Eden has the most votes, and NO comments....until yours that is.:D I guess I should add that I'll be playing rock about 90% of the time...:bag:

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Pick for ME: the Aguilar setup.

Pick for YOU: Depends on your situation. Its all good gear, some of it maybe suited to different applications a little better than others, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

10. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    a thunderfunk 550 with an swr 12 pack.

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I enjoy the Eden sound.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

For rock I think that any of those setups would work very well. I think I'd have a hard time choosing, but I'd probably wind up going with the Mesa setup.

13. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I said Aguilar, but I have to admit I haven't played through that Mesa rig. I definitely like the Aggie more than the Eden, though.

14. thestevo

thestevo

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    I've played both the Eden and Aguilar heads, and liked both, but overall I preferred the Aguilar. I have some serious GAS for a DB750 myself. I can't comment on the Mesa setup, but I'm sure it'd be great too.

15. My dream rig is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or maybe a custom 1x12/1x10/1x6.5 tweeterless cab from Dr Bass.

The cab alone would actually only cost ~$500, which leaves you a lotta money for a good head.

oh, GAS pains kicking in!

16. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I personally don't like the 2x12 + 4x10 setup (I tried this with the GS cabs) ... I'd go all 12s or all 10s. YMMV.

As for the aguilar vs eden sounds, I like both of them ... I go back and forth on which I like better. Overall I think the edens are a little fatter and thicker, and have that "low mid bump" that can be a blessing or a curse.

The aguilar is a little flatter sounding.... they are more simmilar than different.

My streamer stage II that isn't selling sounds great through either one, but probably a little better through the Eden. And the Eden head has more flexible EQ ... so I'll vote Eden.

I can't comment on Mesa.

17. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I like the Mesa setup but with 15's instead. If the Eden were a pre US Music Eden, I'd go with that.

18. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    Glock or EA if $$ is not an issue. Demeter might be cool too..

19. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I have'nt had the chance to A/B an Eden WT800B bridged @ 4ohms(1100W) with the DB750....I'll be trying out the Eden wt800B thru my Schroeder 410 though(my cab of choice) in the next week or so...I'd sure love :D to test drive both of these side by side thru my cab...I'll post a review. I'd probably like either one...you just can't say until you actually hear them side by side with your cab and bass...and the best determinant for me is testing them both out with my band because a rig may sound great in the room alone, but not sound nearly as good :eek: with the band....Peace...DAcat:cool:

20. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I chose the Mesa but I'd really rather go SVT.Run it through 2 4-10's.Priceless.