1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which would you pick

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by progmanjum, Oct 4, 2010.

1. progmanjum

progmanjum

Feb 17, 2009
    If you had to pick either a decent guitar with a premium amp or a premium bass with a decent amp, what would be your choice? And would your answer change if it were for private use and no gigs were involved?

2. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd pick the better instrument with the decent amp. As long as 'decent' doesn't mean cheap, as cheap amps make any bass sound awful.

Having an instrument in your hands that feels/plays good will make you want to play more often, whereas a so-so bass will sometimes deter one away from playing.

3. Bass first, amp second for me.

I can usually dial in a workable tone on most amps, but I'm now so used to the ergonomics of an Aria SB that anything else feels really odd & has a detrimental impact on my playing.

Instruments are like items of clothing IMO. You need to feel comfortable with them. An amp is just a make-it-bigger device.

4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    bass for sure. Good sound starts at the source,in the bedroom or at the gig.

5. I have a $450 bass and a $70 amp. The bass plays great. As far as tone? It doesn't sound bad, but could probably sound much better. I'm pretty happy with this setup for now.

6. Green1

Green1

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Absolutely the bass, get the best one you can afford. The amp can always come later.

7. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    The bass, without a doubt. I can deal with the tone at the present, because I know it will sound much better when I can afford a better amp. Besides, any good bass will sound good almost anywhere. If it came down to it, I'd go right into the house speakers without my amp if I had a good bass.

8. I would say get a better amp right of the bat.

Think about when your rocking out on a Fender Rumble 15 or some other smaller practice amp (not sure how big the OP is thinking of rig-wise) with a say, for example a American Standard P-Bass.

Now some of those Standards are really nice and sound great, but no matter how good your bass is, the amp is what is getting the sound to your ears, and if its no good then your not hearing the full potential of your bass.

I would say get a cheapie Mexican Fender used somwhere and then save for the amp that will last you a long time, it really depends on how huge you want your rig to be. If your looking at getting an SVT with a fridge, just get the bass first and save beucase your amp will be 2 times the amount of your bass and you'll be waiting much longer to afford it.

Hope this makes sense! Good luck, if your thinking of getting some new gear just research everywhere and know what your buying and try everything out before you buy it if possible.