Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which would you prefer and why? MM/J or dual soapbar?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tekhna, Jan 8, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I am looking at electronics for a bass I am building, and I am looking for some input here!
    I would probably go with Duncans if I went MM/J, and Bart or EMG if I went soapbar.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    So, the question is more:
    "which would you prefer: sd mm/j or bart/emg soapbars"
    It's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison, since you're also comparing active vs passive pickups.
    Why don't you tell us a bit more about the bass: what woods etc. Also, what sort of sound are you looking for?

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    This is sort of my hope of getting a Nine Inch Nails stingray sound and a Muse sound out of the same bass. It is going to go into a swamp ash body with a bloodwood top.
    The EMGs are not a serious option at this point, I am looking at passive pickups and an active preamp.

4. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    The sucky thing about a MM sound is that absolutely nothing else than a MM pickup in a correct position will create a sound that is even mistakable to be a MM. The pup may be SD, Bart, Armstrong, even a cheap chinese, but it has to be in a MM style.
    And man do I love the sound! I'm still gigging with a dual soapbar hifi-bass, and it gets boring really quick. MM/J is my next one, 'cause both a MM and a J are original recognisable sounds of their own. The only "good" sound from a soapbar is the bridge growl á la Adam Nitti. (Don't know the guy? You better start diggin! ;o)

Muse is a great great band! A friend of mine just gave me a listen, liked it immediately. "Stockholm Syndrome"...

-Aki.