Which would you prefer and why? MM/J or dual soapbar?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tekhna, Jan 8, 2005.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I am looking at electronics for a bass I am building, and I am looking for some input here!
    I would probably go with Duncans if I went MM/J, and Bart or EMG if I went soapbar.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    So, the question is more:
    "which would you prefer: sd mm/j or bart/emg soapbars"
    It's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison, since you're also comparing active vs passive pickups.
    Why don't you tell us a bit more about the bass: what woods etc. Also, what sort of sound are you looking for?
  3. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    This is sort of my hope of getting a Nine Inch Nails stingray sound and a Muse sound out of the same bass. It is going to go into a swamp ash body with a bloodwood top.
    The EMGs are not a serious option at this point, I am looking at passive pickups and an active preamp.
  4. mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    The sucky thing about a MM sound is that absolutely nothing else than a MM pickup in a correct position will create a sound that is even mistakable to be a MM. The pup may be SD, Bart, Armstrong, even a cheap chinese, but it has to be in a MM style.
    And man do I love the sound! I'm still gigging with a dual soapbar hifi-bass, and it gets boring really quick. MM/J is my next one, 'cause both a MM and a J are original recognisable sounds of their own. The only "good" sound from a soapbar is the bridge growl á la Adam Nitti. (Don't know the guy? You better start diggin! ;o)

Muse is a great great band! A friend of mine just gave me a listen, liked it immediately. "Stockholm Syndrome"...