Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which would you prefer for slappin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Music Man Sterling

28 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Spector Euro 4-string

13 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Modulus Jazz Bass

22 vote(s)
    34.9%
  1. Which of these 3 basses do you prefer as a slapping axe?

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i was torn between the spector and the modulus, but i would have to vote modulus jazz bass.

I am getting a Modulus Flea Bass, but when I went out to try them I also picked up a VJ4 out of curiosity. it felt GREAT when i was slapping it. very very low action and just good feel. the string spacing just seemed a little tight and i am not the biggest fan of the Jazz bass sound, so i went with the Flea bass. but if the narrow neck and string spacing as well as the Jazz sound is your thing, than IMO I think this is the bass for you.

the Spector is also a very fine choice. It didn't sound nearly as cool as the Modulus for slap IMO. all around, very good bass. i found it to be more versatile than the Modulus just because of the P pickups. but if we're just talking strictly slap, than I still think the VJ4 is the way to go.

I did not like the Sterling when I slapped it, it just seemed very dull and not as responsive as the Modulus or the Spector. But I won't bash the entire line of Sterling basses, because for all I know I could of been playing a lemon.

hope i helped a little bit

-Eric

3. Sterling with a maple board...oh baby... Just roll the truss rod and get that action nice and low and BLAMO, you got a sweet slap sound.

4. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I actually am a little surprised at the basses you put up. Just because I think that the Musicman Sterling is not as good as the stingray for slapping, and while I like modulus alot the slap sound is the reason why I sold my modulus and got a different bass. Is there a method to your madness? If I had to choose you though I would still pick the Musicman, there is a history to the musicman slap sound that is in my head and ears.

5. I slap myself happy with my Fender Jazz bass!

Not listed on your poll.:meh:

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, sadly I suck at slapping! And it's gonna take a while to get any better . But I'm quite happy with my Spectors (5 stringers) so I reckon I will stick at it with them and hopefully slowly but surely get better!

So Spector for me!

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have had Modulus' a plenty, Alembics...you name it. TO me Stingray's, Stingray 5's and Sterlings are much better to my ear but my Sterling is the best Slapper I have ever played....really.

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Definatley the Sterling.

Slapping to me sounds a lot better on a MM pickup. The problem with the Sterling is without the piezo, they don't have enough versatility for anything else.

9. T4b

T4b

Oct 9, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'm sure this is a stupid newbie question (as I am a newbie), but Masamax suggests that low action is better for slapping. Presumably this would mean that the strings hit the frets when you slap them. Is that meant to happen? It's been happening on my Yamaha whenever I tried to slap, and I thought I was doing something wrong.

Apologies for being a bit off topic.

EDIT:
    Thanks for the answer. I hope to be getting lessons soon but some questions can't wait!

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Low action requires less force. Yes, the string should strike the frets. This is where the percussive attack comes from. You may want to look into the technique a bit more if you're lost...perhaps have someone show you. ;) Better to get a good grasp on things the first time around IMO.

11. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I would also consider a fender jazz bazz for slap...
    Particularily the (ugly) transparant teal grean, ash, rosewood fingerboard, USA Active 18v Jazz Deluxe that is in my local music store... the thing just sounds amazing IMO.

12. Spector Euro. I've played a few vs. MM. Roll the front P/U volume down to 8-9, EQ as needed. Fun times.

13. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    out of the three options... spector

if it where my bucks... i'd buy my thumb all over again!!!!!

yep

the sound of wood.... not man made mats! flea is quite the funkster.... but its all in the feel!!!

also another warwick selection.... FNA JAZZ MAN 4 or 5. best of all worlds... cuz it's got that mm sound but if you want something more mellow at times it's allllll there in a oooozy mec J pu.

yep
    i had a grilled cheese for lunch
    yep

14. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    None of your three

My picks would be (4 stinger)

pre CBS to mid 70's Jazz bass (preferably ash)
    Moon guitars Larry Graham model
    Sadawsky any fretted 4

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Of the three you listed, I would pick the Music man. But to me that tone is Hi-Fi. My pick would without a doubt be a passive jazz bass end of story! I also own a MIA dlx, MIM dlx and a Marcus Miller Jazz. The passive Jazz is my favorite for the thump and pop stuff.

16. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    STINGRAY

17. Go with a stingray. It gives huge room between the neck and pickup, and the pickgaurd isnt too close to the strings, letting you get some meat under the fingers for pluckin. For slappin, definately do the stingray, not the sterling.

18. I picked up a ray for the first time on tuesday, it was a fretless. I am having a heck of a time trying to decide between a ray or a mia jazz. I'd say the ray right now. I just love the mm sound.

19. Just put a ray on hold tonight...Man, they sound so damn good.

20. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm not a huge fan of the whole MusicMan slap sound. I think it might be my whole grudge against humbuckers.

I voted Spector.

--Matthew