Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which would you prefer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jyag22, Feb 6, 2006.

1. jyag22

jyag22

Feb 6, 2006
    I'm interested in effects but Iwould like to know to choose and try first....thanks

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, what kind of music do you play?

It really depends on what you want to play, and if you're not sure if you need effects, then you most likely don't.

-Dash

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Yep, if you have to ask what you need, you don't.

But anyhow, some form of distortion is good to add to any arsenal.

4. jyag22

jyag22

Feb 6, 2006
    Sorry.....i didnt word the question the way i wanted. what i meant was like what do you use currently and what would you reccomend for any type?

5. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ah, alright. Me personally--

I play a lot of rock/metal music, so distortion is a must for my rig. Towards that end, I've got a Boss OBD-3. It's not the greatest distortion out there, but it's really not as bad as some people here make it out to be.

The only other effect I use a fair amount is wah. I've got a Dunlop 105q Crybaby Bass, which I love, but I've also heard great things about the Ibanez Weeping Demon. Check both of 'em out if you think wah is your thing.

Compression is also pretty nice, I've got it built-in on my amp though, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what single-effects have good compression. I've heard good things about Aphex stuff though, I'm sure someone else could provide more info than I can on this.

-Dash

6. get an inexpensive multi effects unit, try them all, and then buy quality single pedal versions of the effects you really like.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Check out the Post Yer Pedalboard thread. :)