Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which would you purchase..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougray, Feb 15, 2003.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i am wanting to choose between a lakland 55-02 or a stingray 5,i have never played a lakland 55-02 but i do own a 55-01,which would you buy and why,i like the "stingray" sound but the neck is a smidge narrow,also i can get a 55-02 for a few $$ less. any info that would help,thnx in advance.:bassist:

2. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I own a 55-94 with the same electronics as the 55-02 and I've owned a SR5. The 55-02 has more under the hood and it will sound reasonably close to the SR5. The neck on the 55-02 is slightly wider as well.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    wow! what a coincidence! I was just making that exact same matchup today. I played a lot of basses, and those two (the stingray and the 55-02) came out on top.

the 55-02 is much closer to the stingray tone than the 55-01, which to my ears sounds nothing like a stingray. If you like the feel of the lakland, bo for it, or upgrade the one you already have(!). I a/b the SR5 and the 55-02 today, and I liked the look, feel, and sound of the stingray just a little more, but not much.

check out the "shootout" thread currently posted by me in the basses section for more of my play day.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I'm with you dougray about the neck. I had a 55-01 & I thought the neck was awesome & I has a MM SR5 at the same time & it didn't get 1/2 as much play as the 55-01. Also, I like the sonund of the 55-01 better than the 55-02 but it still sounds good.

I'd go with the Lakland!!!!