Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which would you rather get, a Vintage Fender or a Custom Shop Fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Vintage

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. Custom Shop

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...assuming they both cost the same?

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Vintage my friend, I love the look and the feel of a good vintage bass.

3. Custom Shop, relic'd

THen I'd know it was the real thing, not a pre CBS dog.

Although, a 1966 CAR Jazz, bound with dots, with oval tuners and matching headstock would be very cool!

4. whichever was best...

Actually, I'd prefer a Sadowsky.

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That goes without saying. The qustion is, which one would be better....

6. The candy apple red one, of course....

I can't believe you asked that.

7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, you should have said that sooner. ;)

8. Hard to answer, since I've never played a vintage Fender. Why do they supposedly sound different- aging or construction?
    Has anyone found a way to make a new bass sound like an aged one?

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I voted custom shop. The only sure way to get a good vintage bass is to buy new and look after it for 30 years.

10. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I have voted for vintage,but vintage is a too much generic word.What I mean is that,as I've posted in Talkbass other times,there isn't a standard quality in vintage fenders.The point is that I've tryed at least 16/17 vintage fenders from 1962 to 1979:around 14/15 weren't ok at all!But 3/4(66,78,72...no matter at the year) were amazing basses!!!!I own a'78 j bass now.....and it replaced a sadowsky.:eek: ;)
    Now,coming back to the original thread,I have voted for vintage:but you have to be lucky,patient,and clever to find one of the few that are amazing...otherwise,it would be much better a sadowsky,or a new custom fender.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If they both cost the same (which is very hard to find) & the Vintage is not a fake I'd go with the Vintage. But since their are so many fakes & their is so much inconsistany in Vintage Fenders, I'd go for a Custom Shop.

12. My '83 JV Squier jazz bass sounds better than my old '64 jazz bass ever did.

Some vintage basses go woof woof. So do some custom shop items (thinking of a CS strat made for a guy I know here which I played recently. OK, not a bass, but still....).

Gimme that ol' Fender copy anyday (I mean the Sadowsky). Actually, I'd quite like an RB5....

13. Well, to be honest, I would REALLY like an RB5. I mean really REALLY <big><b>REALLY</b></big>.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The greatest thing about a New Bass is that it wasn't someone else's instrument. If there's a ding or a scratch on it, I put it there. There also no funny routing lines from someone elses' "cool idea". You can pick the color, and the amenities. And not think your stripping a classic to get the image you want. If you want original and all they got is tobacco sunburst(and you want olympic white or surf green) you gotta buy it or walk.
    New instruments are also easier to set up. And newer ones usually stay set up.

15. Those Reggie Hamilton basses, which are from the custom shop, sound real interesting so I went with that.

16. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    A Fender Custom Shop (NOS,Relic'd, etc) is a decent copy of an old Fender. Assuming I could find one of each that I like, I'd go vintage every time. It tends to take a lot more money and "work" to find a nice vintage Fender though. CS basses are great in that they tend to be more consistent in their build quality and tone than the older Fenders and are easier to maintain...but they're still copies. IMHO, they don't sound like a nice vintage Fender. If you want the vintage vibe, get the real thing....and once you get your real vintage Fender, get a CS model as a back-up. ;)

17. Vintage fender.

Why get a copy (at least physically) if you want the vintage "vibe"?

The best way to get what you want, is get what you want. Not what someone else thinks you want.

confused? See page 42.

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Andy, don't hold back, now...tell us what you'd really want!:p

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If I were to buy a vintage bass*, it wouldn't be for the sound. As an investment, no question about it, I'd get vintage.

*that's a huge "if"

20. Vintage definitely. A friend of mine had the best sounding Precision I ever heard. I played that bass about 50 times so I know what a good vintage Pre-CBS bass sounds and feels like. If the American Vintage '62 P-bass that Fender is offering right now is reasonably close to the original, I would snap it right up. Thank God I haven't seen one in Sam Ash because if I do, it's going to sleep in my house thenceforth.

Here's the '62 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...9254545097/search/g=home/detail/base_id/59293

Here's the '57 for Barroso - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...9254545097/search/g=home/detail/base_id/36597 :)

And a little tid-bit for Embellisher. Not vintage Jeff, but, I think you'll like it - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...9254545097/search/g=home/detail/base_id/59393

Argh! The G.A.S. pains are returning. :(

Mike J.