Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whichbook should I get for my son?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by coolcat, Aug 4, 2003.

1. coolcat

coolcat

Aug 4, 2003
    Good morning folks.I'm getting an electric bass for my 15 year old son's birthday which is around the corner and I want to get him a good book that will help him learn the instrument.I don't want to rush and get him a teacher because he might end up not liking the instrument so getting a book,I think,is better for now.Do you have any recommendations for good bass books that cover everything?The basics,techniques,scaling,etc the whole deal.Thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I actually think a good teacher is much better than a book for a newbie.
    A teacher can show movements etc. much better than a book ever could, he can correct flaws, give directions.
    A book can't, so frustration will be much higher, especially for young players.

3. I agree with JMX,a good Teacher is more important. I had been taking lessons with a great local teacher.
    As it started, it took a good many weeks to undue 20+ years of badly established habits which hindered my playing.
    I personally believe that starting with a good,
    sound foundation of learning correctly is the way
    to go.
    There are all kinds of books on every aspect of Bass playing...I'm a book junkie..and I've read and practiced the through the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of 'em all.

4. efcleff

efcleff

Jan 20, 2003
    ohio
    coolcat,
    I also recommend an instructor because he can answer questions and help develop good habits.
    However, to answer your question, I went through the "Fasttrack" series ( a long time ago). The books ( 1 & 2 ) are pretty good for beginners.They come with a CD to play along with, and each track can be played with and without the Bassline.The books are written on the funny side, so the lessons aren't dull. I also have a fifteen year old and he's doing pretty good with Fasttrack.Another good book is the Mel Bay beginner series for Bass, went through that too, more academic but still good learning.
    efcleff

5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    One more vote for a teacher.

It is very hard to learn proper technique with a book. Get him at least a few lessons so that he can learn how to play correctly.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Over the weekend-
    I stumbled on & bought Bass Guitar For Dummies
    ...don't laugh("OK", go ahead). Finished?
    Anyway, IMO, having something like this back when I started(circa 1972) woulda been a whole lot better than Mel Bay!
    ;)

Teachers?
    Getting the 'right' one is important.
    The 'wrong' one can cause much damage.