Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whick company has the best replacement jazz necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Feb 22, 2006.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I want to replace the neck on my sunburst 95 US Fender Jazz.

I am interested in an Allparts neck like this:

See Picture Below

or a Warmoth neck like this:

[​IMG]

Both necks are around $250.00 - $275.00. Which company has a better reputation for necks?

Also, what is the process for applying a Fender logo on the headstock?

2. I haven't tried out allparts bass necks, although their guitar necks have a good reputation. I do have a fretless warmoth jazz neck which is very well made and improves the sound of the bass. Unfortunately, it is very heavy and tends to cause neck-dive. Warmoth does make a sweet neck and I would endorse them, but be forewarned that the steel reinforcement they use does seem to add a fair amount of weight - mine is substancially heavier than the fretted neck it replaced and I eventually converted the bass back to its original neck and bought a MTD Kingston fretless for not that much more than a pre-finished warmoth neck. YMMV.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    So get some ultralight tuners to make up for the weight difference. Probably totally depends on the particular neck itself as well.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    USA Custom Guitars makes nice Jazz necks. Pricing is similar to Warmoth and graphite bars instead of steel.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    USACG does not do block inlays.

6. I had a custom fretless bass made from all Allparts...(uhh, yeah)

Anyways, the neck was amazing. Too bad I sold it...*

*I did buy my Geddy Lee with that money.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a neck made by Michael Dolan that I picked up from a TB'er. Best Jazz neck I've ever played. Quality wise... think Sadowsky

8. i've got a sweet allparts neck i got off ebay from proguitarshop , they get them periodically but i highly recommend them

9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    The Warmoth neck isn't finished, but you can get birdseye. Both are going to be great necks!

10. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry to responding so late to my post. A rough couple of days.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I think I am going to go with an Allparts neck. I found a place that sells them for $190.00.

Anybody know where I can get a Fender 70's style decal, and how do you apply a decal?

Thank you.

11. STATUS-GRAPHITE.

Block inlays are SO 70's........ ;)

12. I have owned three allparts necks. One rosewood J, and Maple P, and a fretless ebonal P. The rosewood J had a few dead spots, making it useless to me. The Maple P had a weird phase warble that disappeared when I changed necks. The fretless looked great, but the hole for the truss rod was drilled so that I could put an allen wrench in it to adjust it - it wouldn't line up.
    I also have a warmoth rosewood J. Very, very nice. No dead spots!
    If you want a fender neck you may want to check out
    http://stores.ebay.com/Fender-Authe...W0QQsspagenameZADMEQ3aBQ3aFSELQ3aUSQ3a3QQtZkm
    Great Fender Mexico replacement parts. The stock changes quite a bit, and they have everything to build your own/update your fenders!
    Chris

13. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    what about the all graphite Status ones, they look very tasty!