Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whigne About Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 29, 2005.

1. how come they dont produce their best/better basses any more?

i mean, the Musician Bass, ATK series, The single coil Mahogany/Bubinga BTB300...a few of the soundgears......

their better basses always seem to get discontinued rather quickly, i do wish they'd re-issue the musician and ATK basses though...all to origional specs....that'd be sexy

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Because they don't have the modern-day rawk appeal and low prices for all the kids.

3. ATK are so rock, Greg K? from the offspring used them for a while, (the atk300's if im not mistaken) so did mark white from the spin doctors

sting used a musician bass for a while, so did adam clayton

they are so rawk :p

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    most kids who would buy an ibanez, like korn, lim bizkit, staind, all that mall metal stuff, so to them, a atk isnt cool enough.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If those are your examples of the rawk the kids are listening to nowadays, Australia may be competeing with Japan for the "adopting pop culture America stopped using 15 years ago" prize :p Ask a kid in a Mudvayne shirt who the Spin Doctors and watch his eyes glaze over.

At least you're still ahead of Russia-I think they just started receiving copies of Pearl Jam's "Ten." ;)

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    :D

7. i don't think brand has anything to do with it. lots of older guys like the artcore guitars despite the name on the headstock. make a good instrument and people will buy it.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Brand has everything to do with it to a kid who's never played before and is getting their first instrument. Since they don't know what the quality brands or models are, they're going to go for the basses that look the most like what the bassists in their favorite bands use, and Ibanez and Warwick are the top nu-metal brands.

9. FWIW, I see more kids playing Fender P's and J's these days than anything else.....Who the h*ll is Limp Bizkit anyway? :smug: Get with the times! Nu-metal is so 2003.....It's all about AFI, New Found Glory, and The Used, etc. etc. etc....

10. ...but i think he was implying that people who weren't into "cool nu-metal" looks WOULDN'T buy Ibanez.

11. Back onto the subject I would have loved Ibanez to make a 5 string/19mm spacing version of the SB1200.Shades of Spector/Brian Moore with inlays,EMGs at about 1/2 the price.How do you contact Ibanez to give them ideas?I emailed Stuart Spector with some ideas and PJ Rubal answered me very promptly with a very polite response.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Because making cheap instruments sells more basses.

For credibility, they pay Gary Willis and Doug Wimbish, not that they're at fault for that. It's just business.

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    it may be 2005, nu metal is still huge.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I liked teh Sr3000e's until they stopped makingthem..

15. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, in Wimbish's defence. That new orange DWB model is pretty smoking in my opinion and is definately on my G.A.S. list right now. Great bass for the price. :bassist:

I agree with the above statements. When I first started out I to gravitated towards gear that my idols used. First "real" bass = Stingray (Flea), First "real" amp = Mesa 400+ (Claypool) etc, etc.

Its really I think how most kids get into music in the first place. They really become a fan of a band and pick or fall into the instrument that interest them most at that time. I did.

16. I've got an SR3005E and I think its a great bass. Its beautiful to look at and the neck is a dream. I'm a female bass player with small hands so the string spacing and neck girth are good for me. Its from their Prestige line.

They discontinued it, I believe, but came out with its sibling, the SR1005E.
    http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SR1005EWN

Tone-wise, its not as smooth and punchy as my American Jazz but its got a more metallic but deep sound. With both of those basses with their different sounds, I can get a lot of versatility in tone. The B on the Ibanez is not the tightest and string slapping/popping is more difficult but fingerstyle sounds really great on it.
    GGirl

17. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    This is very true. When I was younger I wanted a Rick 4001 because Geddy played one (I eventually owned two - I own two now as well).

This being said, the Ibanez's today are nowhere near what they were in the late '70s and early '80s. The Musician was a nice instrument, but hte stuff they've got today is cheap, cheap, cheap. Sure, some famous folks endorse them, but you can bet they're not playing the same thing you'll find in your local Guitar Center.

Warwick? I know a lot of folks like them, but I haven't played one yet that I thought was worth the price. Hey, to each his own I guess.

:bassist:

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I agree that the Wimbish basses are cool. (Can't comment on the Gary Willis or the Verdine White models because I've never seen them), but there are gobs of equally good instruments in the same price range that are not made in Korea. Yes, they're making them better, but I still can't justify the $1000+ price tag.

19. the wimbish is a great bass, i was gonna get one....

but what about the George Benson, John Scofield and Pat Metheny signatures? numetal my ass :smug: :p , the george bensons has been in production for what? 25years give or take a few..

but in the defense,. i was into metal when i bought my atk, i can understand them not buying a musician bass, but i mean, whats not cool looking about the ATK, most metal heads a knew thought it was an awesome bass....

my guitarist who's a pro jazz cat plays ibanez and fender, my singer/guitarist has a usa custom ibanez, one of my mates who plays jazz/blues bought an ibanez........

theres nothing wrong with the basses their producing now, but id just love a musician and atk(again)

GGirl, those were beautiful basses, my drummer has the 6, ive got rather big hands :D and usually i find smaller necks to be painful, thats why i prefer a p-bass neck, but the SR basses have the most comfy necks, even on the 4 strings.....i like the new prestige SR's and BTB's....mmmm..neckthrough