Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

While I Wait GAS Attack (3-way tie)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Aug 19, 2004.

Which *one* would you choose?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2004.
  1. Lake Placid Blue Sadowsky

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Ebony Nordstrand

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. Red Benavente

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I'm waiting on a custom Zon, and having another GAS attack. In reading the threads, and coveting the basses of others, I've come up with three mfrs (Sadowsky, Nordstrand, and Benavente) that seem to have risen to the top as far as reputation, craftsmanship, tone, and overall bass 'qwan'.

I've gone one step further, and I've zeroed in on three of what I consider the most attractive, inviting finishes. These basses just say 'play me!!!!'. Actually, they say 'sell everything you own to buy me!!!!'

Anyway, I know a lot of you have real-world (gigging) experience with one or more of these mfr basses. I'd love to hear your comments, especially if you've owned more than one of these (AG, I know you have!)

Thanks. In the meantime, the eBay auction for my dog is almost up, gotta go.

2. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    One more pic...

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Why decide? just toss the Cat and the Wife on E-bay too and buy all 3. If you have any other pets (fish, birds, etc.) or kids you can send them out too and then buy some extra strings and stuff!!!

:smug:

4. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    The wife is out of the question... a man's gotta survive.

Hmmmm... the cat though.

Fluffy... Here Fluffy!

5. I love my Benavente Vortex. The tone is KILLER!!! And so many DIFFERENT tones with Benavente preamp with active/passive option. I have yet to meet a soundguy that didn't comment on the tone of the bass. Same goes with musicians. And to stay on the Bennie bandwagon.... that SC bodystyle you had in your pic's is awesome.

6. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I've always loved the J-bass, but the Single cuts are growing on me. BTW - I love the paint your Vortex. Awesome.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    no contest for me :smug:

Chris builds the basses for me... IMHO there is no better. I'll die playing my fretless 6 string Benavente with the fretted 5 close at hand. (Yes TalkBass you can quote me on that... I still love both my 51!)

that said, the Nord double cuts do give me a little tingle... I dislike the look of his SC, but I could play the double. The Sadowsky.. I cannot recall EVER hearing of someone with a bad thing to say about one (price excluded).... if Brian B didn't commision Chris to build the LowEnd Jazz basses, I'd most likely have bought a metro.

.... yup, eBay the family and get one of each :bassist:

8. i would go for the benavente. that thing is sweet!!.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've played 2 Nordstrands, 4 Sadowskys, and 2 Benaventes. I own, and prefer Nordstrand. But I like the other two a lot.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with any of them.

10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Get the Nordstrand!!!!

No, the Benevente!!

No, no, no, get the Nordstrand!!!

I still haven't played a Nordie, but they sure look sweet. If its Sadowsky VS Benevente I'd say Benevente. They feel a lot better and sound more versitile to me. I have played both live and the Bene won hands down! Of course YMMV....

11. embellisher

I overlooked the comment about real world gigging experience.

I have never gigged with a Benavente or a Sadowsky.

But I have gigged about 10 times now with my Nordstrand. This bass is mean! It looks like it would only be capable of smooth, hifi tones, but it is capable of some gnarly agressive rock sounds too. Carey's pickups are very good sounding. And with the active/passive option on the electronics, I can get a lot of different sounds.
    The only gripe that I have with this bass is that I wish the output was a little higher. But of course, I can compensate for that at the amp. And live, this bass cuts through distorted guitars better than anything I have ever played.

12. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Hey Jeff, thanks for the info! BTW - what is the top wood on your SC5?

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    First off, I've never played ANY of these...

BUT, based upon appearance ALONE, I say, go w/ the Nordstrand... The Sad is just TOO vintage looking to be in this comparo... The Benavente is nice, but I much prefer the look of the Nord.

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    That Black Nordstrand was my desktop for a good long while. I really love the look of that bass, even though Im not fond of SingleCuts. I really like the contrast on it.

15. embellisher

The top on mine is box elder burl.

16. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I'm a Sadowsky guy but, man ... that ebony top touch my soul!